Re: How can logged on user reset "Local Settings\*.*" back to defa

From: m0e (m0e_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/23/04

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:34:18 -0700

Not a permissions issue at all. It's a sharing violation or files in use by a process, namely .dat files and logs. I want my timing software to initiate a script that will overwrite the entire logged-on user's Local Settings folder, so that the next consecutive user seems to start with a fresh slate. I was wondering if I could do this by killing [what] processes, then overwriting the files, then restarting processes?

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> I am not quite sure what your need is here but a user can change permissions
> on any folder where he has full control or is the owner of the folder. If
> you do not want them to change permissions then give them no more than
> modify and remove them from ownership if they are the owner. If you have a
> certain need for your application, give the group of users the needed
> permissions to the folder. If the logged on user has proper permissions to
> the folder and you need to change the permissions back to a certain
> configuration, try to create a shorcut using fileacl to configure the
> permissions to your needs. --- Steve
>
> http://membres.lycos.fr/jfb/gb/gbtools/fileacl.htm -- info in fileacl
>
> "m0e" <mlindh@nols.org> wrote in message
> > Is there any way that a logged on user can reset the
> > entire "%userprofile%\Local Settings" folder back to
> > default? By first killing some process(es)? This is so
> > multiple consecutive users can use the same logged on user
> > account, but get a fresh start without a logoff/on. This
> > is necessary in order to use certain session timing
> > software.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Dont Administrators have access to everything?
    ... folder, which the Limited users getaccess to. ... One of the Administrators is the Owner of nearly every ... the few that can be opened, but I thought the Administrators ... If you're an admin and you take ownership, and you replace permissions, ...
  • Re: Lets talk about ownership!
    ... They will have the same permissions but the permissions are meaningless as there is no user to match. ... According my previous example the user "Terry" has read/write permissions on folder NickData. ... Ownership doesn't really matter as long as you have permissions. ... XP can be configured in Local Security Policy to make the Admin group the owner for files created by admins. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Minimum NTFS Permissions - Theres such a thing???
    ... ?2001 Microsoft Corporation. ... HOW TO: Set Minimum NTFS Permissions Required for IIS 5.0 to Work WGID:198 ... " List Folder Contents" ...
  • Re: Unable to delete orphaned 1.5 GB System Restore folder
    ... The fact that the tech support is based in India has nothing to do with the ... If so you may want to leave this folder alone. ... down to all children folders because i can set those permissions to ... try deleting from the command line using system by using the AT ...
  • Re: Unable to delete orphaned 1.5 GB System Restore folder
    ... The only computers i fix are my own. ... If so you may want to leave this folder alone. ... it includes all subdirectories with inherited permissions. ... try deleting from the command line using system by using the AT ...