Re: service packs

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 06/22/04

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:47:18 GMT

Service packs address more than just critical updates and can add a lot to the
operating system as far as functionality and reliability. You should be using at
least SP3 by now. As an example, see the link below to all the issues that SP4
addresses of which a small percentage are addresses by critical updates which focus
on immediate threats to security or operating system reliability/functionality. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327194

"john scott" <alpha99@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> are service packs necessary or are critical patches enough
> for windows 2000 server and 2000 pro as I have someone
> telling me that critical patches are all you need ?

Relevant Pages

  • service pack 1 for XP does not install after trying 6 time 80hrs
    ... can I get a CD of the service packs for my Dell Inspiron 2600 XP home edition; I have had to reinstall the entire operating system due to viruses multiple times but these service packs and critical updates have not installed after many attempts. ... I got the critical updates to install but not the service pack 1. ... I was looking for a procedure to install the service pack without an internet connection but I could not find it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Critical Updates - Reliability
    ... > How are Critical Updates different from Service Packs? ... "THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS," WITH NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER. ... MICROSOFT AND ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ALL OTHER ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Distributing critical updates
    ... unlimited use demo that will deploy 3 OS patches at a time. ... I did SP3 and a couple critical updates simultaneously to 3 machines ... > service packs using the group policies since service packs come with their ... I heard you can run login scripts for the users or use taks ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Service Pack
    ... Service packs ARE critical updates. ... Windows 2000 Gold and Windows 2000 SP4 are not the same operating systems: The first one it's plagued with bugs and the second one has rock solid stability. ... That's why service packs are important. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • RE: Problem with SP1 Critical Update
    ... you don't mean the service pak 2 critical updates.. ... >the correct disk. ... >re-install the operating system since NONE of my programs ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)