Re: loss of administrator rights.

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 06/19/04

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:02:57 GMT

First off no one should be using Service Pack 1 anymore [I understand it is not your
computer - just being a good friend]. Service Pack 4 is the current one and may have
prevented the problem in the first place. The link below contains info on how to get
a free cdrom from MS with the latest security updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

Try booting into safe mode to see if that helps and if not I would try a couple of
things. First try the link below on how to restore security settings to default
defined levels using the secedit command.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222

Otherwise I would consider an in place upgrade install of W2K which you can do by
putting the install disk in the computer while it is running W2K and selecting
"upgrade install". That will refresh most settings and should leave data and
applications in place. It will however require the reinstall of first service pack
and then critical updates either from download or cdrom. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175 -- can also be done
from booting from cdrom.