Re: VPN

From: John Barwell (johnbarwell_at_msmdirect.co.uk)
Date: 06/16/04


Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:00:14 +0100

Dear Steve,

I am just going through the wizard for the RRAS. When I get to the Internet
Connection stage I can only select my NIC. When I try to select that card I
get the following error

"You have choosen the last available connection as the internet connection.
A VPN server requires that one connection be used as the private internet
connection"

Please can I advise as I think this is having an impact on the working of
the VPN server?

Many Thanks,

John Barwell

"Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
news:x8Lzc.59695$Sw.29045@attbi_s51...
> Hi John.
>
> I am not quite sure what you mean about "not being picked up by the remote
client".
> If the client has deny configured in their AD account for dial up and
they dial in
> to a W2K rras server that is a domain member and in the RAS and IAS group,
they
> should get a message that says they are not allowed access after they
enter their
> domain credentials.
>
> You say you are using the same exact settings for dial up and dsl? I
assume you mean
> that at least the vpn connectoid is configured to use the public IP
address assigned
> to your router wan interface. The router also needs to be configured to
port forward
> the proper ports and protocols to your internal rras server. Assuming you
are using
> pptp since you can not use l2tp through NAT into a W2K rras server,
configure port
> 1723 TCP to port forward to the internal IP address of your rras server
and allow
> protocol 47 which may be referred to as pptp pass through. Also configure
the vpn
> client connectoid to use pptp - not auto if using the built in W2K vpn
client. You
> can do that in properties/network type. The rras server will need to be
able to hand
> out at least ten IP addresses either through a static pool or the use of a
dhcp
> server on the rras computer. --- Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308208
>
> "John Barwell" <john.barwell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:canrf3$dsu$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > I have already configured the settings in AD. However they are not being
> > picked up by the remote client. Also I ran into another problem last
night.
> > I can connect using a dialup connection. However when I try the exact
same
> > setting for DSL I cannot. Any ideas?
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> >
> > John
> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:f_Fzc.109505$Ly.59278@attbi_s01...
> > > The dial restriction needs to be configured for their accounts on the
> > remote access
> > > server, or in AD Users and Computers if the rras server is a domain
> > member.
> > > Depending on your configuration the dial in options could be allow,
deny,
> > or control
> > > through remote access policy. --- Steve
> > >
> > > "John Barwell" <johnbarwell@msmdirect.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > news:JmFzc.15539$NK4.2497019@stones.force9.net...
> > > > Dear All,
> > > >
> > > > I am setting up VPN access for my remote users. I have a Draytek
2600
> > > > router. I have managed to get the majority of the configuration
done.
> > > > However the problem I have is that anyone of my users can login
using
> > the
> > > > VPN, even when I have restricted the Dial In property on the user's
> > account.
> > > > Can someone offer me some advice on how to restrict users loggin in
> > > > remotely?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > John Barwell
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>



Relevant Pages

  • Re: RRAS on W2K3
    ... As far as RRAS is concerned, ... is the interface which has a connection to the Internet. ... I get back to the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.networking)
  • Re: VPN Connects, then I hit a wall
    ... that the RRAS is configured to allow DHCP to assign an address and the IP ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... When I have the RRAS server to obtain an IP from the DHCP server ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Problem with RRAS on XP SP2
    ... Our application uses netsh and Routing and Remote Access service to ... Connection connected to the Internet. ... Start RRAS. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks)
  • Re: VPN Routing Advice - update
    ... set up a two way connection so siteA has a connection into siteB and vice ... From each RRAS server I can ping everything on the other's LAN. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Multihomed Network Running RRAS & DNS & WINS
    ... all zeros in rras static routes for the internet gateway, ... I am able to logon to the RRAS server and I see the connection ... > configuration is not working because Microsoft has no clear concise ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)