Re: Prudent or Paranoid?

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 06/15/04

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:21:09 -0400

Crazy Horse wrote:
> Dave-
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> In article <eUhG2zvUEHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, noone@nowhere.com
> says...
>> i would recommend installing the firewall first... the built in
>> win2k one 'should' be adequate, just dissallow EVERYTHING from
>> coming in until you are completely patched and have the virus
>> scanner running... then install your choice of 3rd party firewalls
>> and disable the win2k one.
> --------------------
> I mean no offense here... but I'm confused...
> In the m.p.w2k.general newsgroup, Lanwench said:
>> XP has better built in support for graphics files, wireless
>> networking, etc - and has a firewall.
> From this statement, I inferred that Windows 2000 does *NOT* have a
> firewall. Before I choose which OS to install (W2k-Pro or XP-Home),
> I'd like to be certain as to whether or not W2k-Pro does, in fact,
> have a built-in firewall.

It does not. WXP is the first desktop OS to include a firewall. You need a
third party firewall - hardware or software, as you wish.

> ĥ Assuming you're right about there being a firewall included in W2k,
> can you advise me on where to look on the CD to find and install the
> code?

It's not there.

>> of course while
>> you are doing this be careful to only go to the windows update site
>> and security software sites as you will be unprotected from
>> downloading bad stuff from other sites.
> --------------------
> Glad you mentioned this... I might have assumed the W2k-built-in
> firewall would have protected me from infection at other sites.

Firewalls protect your computer in a couple of ways - they prevent *inbound*
access to your computer/network, and some can be configured to control
outbound access via ports, services, etc. Nothing will protect you from
something you initiate yourself....

> I'll
> take your advice and limit my surfing to the MS sites you mention.
>
> Thanks again for your reply and help.
> _______
> -CH
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Relevant Pages

  • Re: messenger pop ups BEAT THE BASTARD activate your ICF 4 free
    ... You have a built in firewall in your XP called ICF. ... or High-Speed Internet/properties/advanced/check the checkbox: ... "Rob B." ...
  • Re: Anti-virus
    ... Norton bloatware route the increased delays in loading and connection are ... I can't understand why winXP users elect to inflict ... OS already slugged by its own built in firewall (regardless of whether ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • firewalls
    ... external DSL modem..I have the built in firewall enabled. ... I just purchased Zone Alarm Pro 3.7 and am having a hard ... the built in firewall to give more protection ??...As ...
  • firewalls
    ... >external DSL modem..I have the built in firewall enabled. ... >etc etc etc..My internet connection changes each time I ... >the built in firewall to give more protection ??...As ...
  • Firewall (ICF)
    ... The built in firewall that MS provides in XP is very ... >I've got an ADSL connection to the Internet and I want ... >protect myself by using the inbuilt firewall with XP. ...