Re: Windows 2000 Professional.

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 06/14/04

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:34:13 GMT

There is a Group Policy setting to remove such under user
configuration/administrative templates/startmenu and taskbar - disable and remove
shutdown command. You may ant to look into that. Have him run gpresult /u /v while
logged onto the computer and it will tell where policy is being applied from and the
verbose switch for user will help determine what user policies are in effect. If that
policy does not look like it is enabled, try disabling it to see if it helps. The
link below also refers to a registry setting that can cause such behavior. --- Steve

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows2000/RegistryTips/Customization/RemoveWindowsNTWindows2000ShutDownbuttonfromStartMenu.html

"TDaigle" <TDaigle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a customer that i on a Windows 2003 SBS domain. His PC is a windows 2000
professional. Just recently his ability to shut down his PC from the start button has
dissappeared. If he does a ctrl+alt+del he can shut down from the task manager. I
have scanned for viruses, using Trend Micro Office scan at latest pattern file and
engine, and found none. He is a very good client and not someone who would muck
around with settings and screw it up. Any ideas??
> --
> Thanks,
> Tim

Relevant Pages

  • RE: How to disable all floppy drives on the network
    ... How to disable all floppy drives on the network ... If you can disable the "Floppy Disk" driver through a policy, ... Note that disabling the floppy driver doesn't prevent people from ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: How to disable all floppy drives on the network
    ... How to disable all floppy drives on the network ... If you can disable the "Floppy Disk" driver through a policy, ... Note that disabling the floppy driver doesn't prevent people from sticking ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Restriction of External Drives through GPO
    ... I have searched in google and got the following .adm file. ... POLICY!!policynameusb ... policynamels120="Disable High Capacity Floppy" ... explaintextcd="Disables the computers CD-ROM Drive by disabling the ...
  • RE: How to disable all floppy drives on the network
    ... If you can disable the "Floppy Disk" driver through a policy, ... The "Hide these specified drives" user policy is also quite useful ... Note that disabling the floppy driver doesn't prevent people from sticking ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)