Re: How to restrict users from email files from restricted folder

From: Chris Manning (ChrisManning_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/14/04

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:05:02 -0700

If they are using Acrobat reader as I said, and the folder is hidden then they cannot even save nor know where to look for this file to send through hotmail.

"Miha Pihler" wrote:

> Security through obscurity is not a very good security. Yes, you can block
> PDF files on your SMTP... but then users will e.g. use hotmail account to
> upload and send out PDF files.
>
> Mike
>
> "Chris Manning" <ChrisManning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If users don't send a lot of PDF files in your company, you could block
> > PDF files in your email filter, this will not allow the user to send your
> > files.
> >
> > Or you could simply deny all users write, modify rights to that folder,
> > equip them all with acrobate reader, so that they can't save it to their
> > desktop. Hopefully that will slow them in their tracks. Or better yet,
> > give everyone strictly read only rights, and hide the folder from
> > everyone, then just create a shortcut directly to the file and place it on
> > their desktops or by other means. That will make sure they don't even know
> > where it is.
> >
> > "Ricky" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm still on Windows 2000. Any solutions for this
> >> platform ? Just need to prevent to users from attaching
> >> any files from the mentioned folder to be sent as email.
> >> Adobe acrobat security would only allow me to protect the
> >> files from being modified, cut or print but users can
> >> still email it as attachment files ! Any advise on this ?

Relevant Pages

  • RE: File association icon missing
    ... Go into regedit and navigate to the following folder: ... some odd behavior I uninstalled Acrobat Reader. ... PDF files and found that the generic icon remains. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Hyperlink to PDF file
    ... you require Acrobat Reader if not click hear. ... file which should be in the same folder. ... Now save this presentation slide ... From your main presentation remove the hypelink to the pdf files ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Safari and PDF files
    ... I would like to force it to use Acrobat Reader but have not succeeded. ... The latest Safari normally displays PDF files by itself. ... Previous versions needed a plug-in to display PDF in the Safari window. ... Are you sure you don't have a plug-in used for a previous version of OS X in the "Internet Plug-Ins" folder in either your "Library" folder, or the "Library" folder at the top level of your system disk? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: C-Drive stem folders with duplicate website info???
    ... I created a sub-folder in my new main folder (HOA WEBSITE) for my .pub file, ... "downloads" on my C-Drive stem is causing the problem?? ... Rename you PDF files to match your links and place them in the DOWNLOADS ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: C-Drive stem folders with duplicate website info???
    ... I will Publish to the Web and place the files in the New "HOA" folder. ... I will place my .pdf files into the "DOWNLOADS" folder. ... Open your pub file using publisher and modify the links for your PDF ... until I had to go back and update the website by ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)