Re: How to restrict users from email files from restricted folder

From: Miha Pihler (mihap-news_at_atlantis.si)
Date: 06/14/04

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:48:38 +0200

Security through obscurity is not a very good security. Yes, you can block
PDF files on your SMTP... but then users will e.g. use hotmail account to
upload and send out PDF files.

Mike

"Chris Manning" <ChrisManning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If users don't send a lot of PDF files in your company, you could block
> PDF files in your email filter, this will not allow the user to send your
> files.
>
> Or you could simply deny all users write, modify rights to that folder,
> equip them all with acrobate reader, so that they can't save it to their
> desktop. Hopefully that will slow them in their tracks. Or better yet,
> give everyone strictly read only rights, and hide the folder from
> everyone, then just create a shortcut directly to the file and place it on
> their desktops or by other means. That will make sure they don't even know
> where it is.
>
> "Ricky" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm still on Windows 2000. Any solutions for this
>> platform ? Just need to prevent to users from attaching
>> any files from the mentioned folder to be sent as email.
>> Adobe acrobat security would only allow me to protect the
>> files from being modified, cut or print but users can
>> still email it as attachment files ! Any advise on this ?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: pdf files and Internet explorer (created on Mandrake)
    ... but it's a fundamental danger to the security and stability of their ... > and served by Apache. ... all my .pdf files start with %pdf. ... who now need a browser check on their website's index page to prevent IE ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Electronic Storage of Class 1/ 2 Medical forms... "Best Practice"?
    ... What I'd like to know is if the BSA has a policy, specific guidelines, ... This has proven to be more of a security issue than it ... The idea is to scan the forms and store them as pdf files on the server ... that also has our website. ...
    (rec.scouting.usa)
  • Re: Adobe PDF files can be used as virus carriers
    ... Adobe PDF files can be used as virus carriers ... > this security feature, all VBScript attachments are deleted because they ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Electronic Storage of Class 1/ 2 Medical forms... "Best Practice"?
    ... A guiding principle to remember in security is, ... Most medical facilities that have computers are also able to read pdf files from flash drives. ... It is easy for security "experts" to require elaborate encryption and passwords that no one can remember. ...
    (rec.scouting.usa)
  • Re: XP SP2 blocks PDF files
    ... > open locally-stored PDF files in my browser. ... > if I create an HTML document and link to a PDF file on my ... Enhanced Browsing Security") can be downloaded ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...