Re: Moving root CA to new machine

From: James (James_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/11/04

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:15:01 -0700

"Note To move a CA from a server that is running Windows 2000 Server to a server that is running Windows Server 2003, you must first upgrade the CA server that is running Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003, and then you must follow the steps that are outlined in this article."

The old machine (Proliant 800) is not windows 2003 compatible so it can not be upgraded. The machine also had Exchange and a few other services on it which have already been moved to a clean install on a new machine.

I prefer to move but either option is OK as long as I can kill of the Proliant.

James

"David Cross [MS]" wrote:

> do you want to move the root or just decommission the old and install a new?
> I assume the former. why does that KB article now apply? why cannot you
> move to a new machine that can run 2003? I think I have a procedure on how
> to move a CA in this whitepaper:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws03pkog.mspx
>
> --
>

> David B. Cross [MS]
>
> --
>
> http://support.microsoft.com
>
> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a root CA on a windows 2000 box that can not be upgraded to 2003.
> So the instructions in <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298138> do not
> apply.
> >
> > We have about 10 servers on 2 sites with 4 DC's including 2 subordinate
> CA's. The rest of the network is now upgraded to 2003 but this last server
> is holding us back.
> >
> > How can we get a new root CA installed on the network?
> >
> > James

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Unanswered Questions
    ... you're insisting there's nothing proving Harry and James ... Voldemort came to kill Harry. ... prove is he should have been killing eveyrbody upon site. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Unanswered Questions
    ... the books that Voldemort was obsessed with the Potter bloodline. ... his downfall - so he set out to kill him. ... So - what we are left is trying to explain why James and Harry ... Peter would seem to be the likely candidate. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Unanswered Questions
    ... you're insisting there's nothing proving Harry and James ... prove is he should have been killing eveyrbody upon site. ... kill, ... Saying such a killing monster would spare ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: K8VSE Deluxe Marvell LAN Problem
    ... My major complaint is that I can't network ... >> I am running WINXP pro, SP2, no other firewalls installed. ... Or by running ipconfig /release * at a command prompt followed ... James ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Murder Vs Killing
    ... > have to kill James. ... considered James at all -- he was insignificant to Voldemort. ... I agree that this came as a surprise to him. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)