recovering NTFS volumes

From: Parhez Sattar (pxs01_at_grh.org)
Date: 06/09/04

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:04:41 -0700

We have this debate going in the office about NTFS and how
it protects files from falling in the wrong hands.
Basically, the questions are:
-What are the risks if a backup tape, that was used to
backup an NTFS volume on a machine (W2K/XPpro)that was
part of a corporate domain/AD, falls into the hands of a
person who is curious (but not very savvy to know hacking
tools) and has a tape drive on their home machine. Can
this person just restore the tape onto their computer and
gain full access to the files (mind you that they were
protected via NTFS 5.0 on the original partition) without
taking any additional steps (such as taking ownership,
bypassing the original ACL, etc.)?? Add EFS to the
scenario above. What changes? Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: recovering NTFS volumes
    ... yes someone who could restore the tape to another operating system would be able to ... access those files [assuming the backup process does not encrypt, ... EFS files would deny access to any users who does not have ... > We have this debate going in the office about NTFS and how ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Back up trouble
    ... Yes, you can reformat your flash drive to NTFS, but it's not the greatest idea. ... To reformat, you have to move everything off the flash drive, then right-click on the drive icon and select Format. ... "Leonard Grey" wrote: ... New flash key holds 16 kb, when the backup reaches 4.2 it states my tape is full to provide another tape. ...
  • Login problem
    ... As long as you haven't activated the EFS system (NTFS ... Install Windows 2000 on another partition or disk on ... Retrieve the data from the original partition or set ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Assigning a Drive Letter To A Tape Drive?
    ... You can emulate CDFS, FAT or NTFS, however, it may not be a good idea as ... network redirector that accesses tape instead of a network. ... access MTF via a drive letter, I don't think it's a good idea either, as ...