Windows 2003 Enterprise CA & Restored State

From: Chris Hayes (chayes_at_3rdevolution.com)
Date: 06/08/04

    Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:40:29 -0400

    Looking for any guidance regarding an enterprise CA that experienced a power
    failure and was restored to a saved state. Any certificates issued after the
    restored date are not reflected in the Certificate Authority management
    console yet they can still be used (smartcards, SSL, etc...) and come up as
    valid when checked with the Certificates MMC snap-in.

    The Enterprise CA itself (subordinate to an offline root), is Windows 2003
    Enterprise Edition running as a virtual machine session on a server running
    Virtual Server 2004. This is running in a non-production capacity- but would
    like to resolve without rebuilding the CA.

    Thanks.

    • Re: 2003/R2 certificate server questions
      ... running OPenSSL to service requests from Linux/samba ... certificates, but I also want to be able to issue random certificates ... Make sure you are running on Enterprise Edition, ... Automatic certs, Key archival and recovery, customizable ...
    • Re: Enterprise Subordinate CA signed by third party Commercial CA like Verisign/Thawte/etc
      ... we will need to have trust ... As far as standard versus enterprise, ... If the root CA is compromised your whole PKI ... > your certificates then it would make sense to use your own CA. ...
    • Re: client user certificates
      ... in certificates using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition Enterprise CAs ... but it would be nice if there was a way to autoenroll the user. ... We have a Windows Server 2003 domain environment with a Enterprise ...
    • RE: CA Client Certificates only expire in one years time
      ... If this was installed as an Enterprise CA this is normal. ... which in v1 templates cannot be modified. ... "For certificates that are issued by Enterprise CAs, the validity period is ...
    • EFS certificate renewal
      ... We use EFS in our organization and have a Windows 2003 Enterprise CA ... If the computer is not connected when the renewal period is first ... If the first renewal request is not successful because the Enterprise CA ... certificates, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)