Which ports need for DNS

From: pc830 (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/03/04

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:23:34 -0700

We have a windows 2000 server running IIS for public
access with 10 public IPs. The router is broken. We would
like to enable IP filtering to open the port 80 for the
web, 25 and 110 for the mail, and TCP and UDP 53 for the
DNS (we have only one NIC with all public IPs and use our
ISP DNS) before replacing the router. Every thing looks
good except DNS. We can ping any public Ip but can't ping
the web name llike yahoo.com. Nsllokup gets the time out
too. which ports do we need to open except tcp and udp 53?
Or do we miss some things?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PIX 506e
    ... Can it handle mapping/portmapping our public IPs to private ones, ... Can I have an additional router behind the firewall (which itself is ... The reason we are wanting a firewall (aside from being able to control ... are not planning a DMZ network for a public server, ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • DNS & using the TCP/IP FIlter
    ... web, 25 and 110 for the mail, and TCP and UDP 53 for the ... DNS (we have only one NIC with all public IPs and use our ... ISP DNS) before replacing the router. ... We can ping any public Ip but can't ping ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: PIX 506e
    ... Can it do NAT? ... Can it handle mapping/portmapping our public IPs to private ones, ... Can I have an additional router behind the firewall (which itself is ... CISCO PIX CAN DO EVERYTHING YOU LISTED. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • IP Filtering
    ... DNS (we have only one NIC with all public IPs and use our ... ISP DNS) before replacing the router. ... We can ping any public Ip but can't ping ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
  • Re: DNS & using the TCP/IP FIlter
    ... I agree but my problem dosent envolve a router and i have ... >> DNS (we have only one NIC with all public IPs and use ... >> ISP DNS) before replacing the router. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)