Re: Win2K Infected??

From: Steven L Umbach (
Date: 05/25/04

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:22:38 GMT

It sounds like some sort of infection or corruption though I tend to think an
infection may have been involved if more than one computer exhibits the behavior. I
would look in Event Viewer to see if any clues are found there and try running System
File Checker on them as in sfc /scannow.;en-us;222471

It always helps to get a second opinion on viruses and also try a parasite removal
tool such as AdAware or SpyBot Search and Destroy [both free]. McAfee also has a free
Stinger download tools that scans for and removes many of the common viruses. In
addition it may be helpful to use some free tools from SysInternals such as Process
Explorer and Autoruns to see if you can find any rogue processes or start up programs
that may relate to the problem. It is often easiest to use those utilities to compare
results to a like know clean similar configured computer, though they give detailed
information. If nothing turns up, the best solution may be to format and reinstall
after backing up any needed data first of course which may include the user profiles
in the documents and settings folder. --- Steve --- free online
scan. You may want to add the site to your trusted web content zone to do the scan.