Re: Win2K Infected??

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 05/25/04

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:22:38 GMT

It sounds like some sort of infection or corruption though I tend to think an
infection may have been involved if more than one computer exhibits the behavior. I
would look in Event Viewer to see if any clues are found there and try running System
File Checker on them as in sfc /scannow.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222471

It always helps to get a second opinion on viruses and also try a parasite removal
tool such as AdAware or SpyBot Search and Destroy [both free]. McAfee also has a free
Stinger download tools that scans for and removes many of the common viruses. In
addition it may be helpful to use some free tools from SysInternals such as Process
Explorer and Autoruns to see if you can find any rogue processes or start up programs
that may relate to the problem. It is often easiest to use those utilities to compare
results to a like know clean similar configured computer, though they give detailed
information. If nothing turns up, the best solution may be to format and reinstall
after backing up any needed data first of course which may include the user profiles
in the documents and settings folder. --- Steve

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
 http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://security2.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym --- free online
scan. You may want to add the site to your trusted web content zone to do the scan.

"A Riaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm a tech support at a school. Recently I have come across
> couple of Win2k Pro machines that are behaving in a weird
> but identical manner. I'll just go ahead and write down the
> symptoms in here:
>
> - Internet explorer doesn't open up a new window if a
> hyperlink requires a new popup window.
>
> - Control panel displays its content on the left part of
> the window where Microsoft Windows logo is suppose to show up.
>
> - Add/Remove Programs applet doesn't open up correctly
>
> - MS word gives an error saying something like can't link
> to the document or something similar.
>
> - We use MacAfee Antivirus at school. It stops responding.
> If you run the update, it says that update service cannot
> be initialized.
>
> - All the above problems go away if the computer is
> restarted. And they come back again after a day or so.
>
> Above mentioned symptoms/problems are the one that I
> detected while trying to rescue the computer. After
> restarting the computer if I run the antivirus, no
> infections are revealed. I have been searching around on
> the web and have also discussed the problem with couple of
> people but can't find a solution. I would really appreciate
> if someone could help me out or point me in the right
> direction.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Riaz

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Win2K Infected??
    ... >It sounds like some sort of infection or corruption though ... >> hyperlink requires a new popup window. ... >> If you run the update, it says that update service cannot ... >> restarting the computer if I run the antivirus, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: faultrep.dll Cant fix
    ... tried to get to taskmanager to shut the window down, ... Hmmm...I see doing things like installing Malwarebytes via flash ... hard to repair this infection for academic reasons but could not. ... healthy unknown Mediadirect 2.0GB FAT32 partition, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: faultrep.dll Cant fix
    ... tried to get to taskmanager to shut the window down, ... Hmmm...I see doing things like installing Malwarebytes via flash ... i tried very hard to repair this infection for academic reasons but could not. ... healthy unknown Mediadirect 2.0GB FAT32 partition, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Win2K Infected??
    ... You need to reinstall or do a repair on IE. ... >It sounds like some sort of infection or corruption ... >> hyperlink requires a new popup window. ... >> restarting the computer if I run the antivirus, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: faultrep.dll Cant fix
    ... Avast running in real time, and I also did a full scan with Avast. ... When I came out of HijackThis, my screen popped up a window that said Warning you are infected and should buy Cyber Security. ... look at the thread dated 12/2 titled "bsod virus" and others regarding antivirus pro. ... i tried very hard to repair this infection for academic reasons but could not. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)