From: A Riaz (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:47:08 -0700
I'm a tech support at a school. Recently I have come across
couple of Win2k Pro machines that are behaving in a weird
but identical manner. I'll just go ahead and write down the
symptoms in here:
- Internet explorer doesn't open up a new window if a
hyperlink requires a new popup window.
- Control panel displays its content on the left part of
the window where Microsoft Windows logo is suppose to show up.
- Add/Remove Programs applet doesn't open up correctly
- MS word gives an error saying something like can't link
to the document or something similar.
- We use MacAfee Antivirus at school. It stops responding.
If you run the update, it says that update service cannot
- All the above problems go away if the computer is
restarted. And they come back again after a day or so.
Above mentioned symptoms/problems are the one that I
detected while trying to rescue the computer. After
restarting the computer if I run the antivirus, no
infections are revealed. I have been searching around on
the web and have also discussed the problem with couple of
people but can't find a solution. I would really appreciate
if someone could help me out or point me in the right