Win2K Infected??

From: A Riaz (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/24/04

    Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:47:08 -0700

    Hello everyone,

    I'm a tech support at a school. Recently I have come across
    couple of Win2k Pro machines that are behaving in a weird
    but identical manner. I'll just go ahead and write down the
    symptoms in here:

    - Internet explorer doesn't open up a new window if a
    hyperlink requires a new popup window.

    - Control panel displays its content on the left part of
    the window where Microsoft Windows logo is suppose to show up.

    - Add/Remove Programs applet doesn't open up correctly

    - MS word gives an error saying something like can't link
    to the document or something similar.

    - We use MacAfee Antivirus at school. It stops responding.
    If you run the update, it says that update service cannot
    be initialized.

    - All the above problems go away if the computer is
    restarted. And they come back again after a day or so.

    Above mentioned symptoms/problems are the one that I
    detected while trying to rescue the computer. After
    restarting the computer if I run the antivirus, no
    infections are revealed. I have been searching around on
    the web and have also discussed the problem with couple of
    people but can't find a solution. I would really appreciate
    if someone could help me out or point me in the right
    direction.

    Thanks,

    Riaz

    • Win2k Problem
      ... I'm a tech support at a school. ... hyperlink requires a new popup window. ... it says that update service cannot ... restarting the computer if I run the antivirus, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Re: Win2K Infected??
      ... >It sounds like some sort of infection or corruption though ... >> hyperlink requires a new popup window. ... >> If you run the update, it says that update service cannot ... >> restarting the computer if I run the antivirus, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Debian on an old PC
      ... Along with simple features such as window shading, ... > OO.org is to allow me to see/print out .doc files from admin types at ... He's a teacher in what we call "furter going school" (it ... I got hold of 128MB RAM from a friend. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Take a Ride to the Future In A Hybrid Car
      ... I liked to know what school you daughter goes to. ... is usually a salad window, a pasta window, a sammich window, at times ... trained chef. ... Cooks just cook, the chef ...
      (rec.boats)
    • Little Girl Stands Outside Classroom Window Every Day
      ... Little Girl Stands Outside Classroom Window Every Day ... School in Dengfeng City has been standing outside ... Wangzhuang Village nearby/of Dengfeng City, ...
      (soc.culture.china)