Re: Sasser Worm on Windows 2000

anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com
Date: 05/21/04

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:12:03 -0700

Steve,

I have Ghost with my Systemworks...guess I'll start using
it more regularly when I get this junk fixed.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable on all this...and
finding "help" on this site and others seems to be so
time-consuming and quite frustrating at times. Any good
places to look for help in setting up my
wireless "network"? I have a Gateway running Win2000 Pro
and a Compaq Presario Laptop running ME. Both versions
are completely updated with patches, drivers, etc. Both
computers are working fine via the router but they aren't
recognizing each other...same workgroups.

I don't want to impose on you for help...if there is a
place to look for help...do I contact Microsoft?
Gateway? Compaq? Not sure.

Thanks SO much for your assistance!
Paula

description with the reboots and
>the use of the router/firewall is a great idea.
Partitioning the hard drive is also
>smart as it makes rebuilding much easier. I would also
suggest you also have a backup
>plan. My favorite is Norton Ghost which comes with
SystemWorks Pro that I bought from
>NewEgg for something like a whopping $23. Making an
image after you get everything
>fresh again can save you a lot of grief. My system
partition is about 4 gig and I can
>totally reinstall it from a Ghost image in less than ten
minutes. I have a "baseline"
>Ghost image and then I periodically create a current
image. Good luck. --- Steve

wrote in message
>> Steven,
>>
>> Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I have
>> come to the conclusion after LONG, tiring and
frustrating
>> hours over the past week, that I need to backup my data
>> and re-build that drive (and will probably do the same
>> for my old drive), just to start clean with both. And
>> thank you for the advice on what to backup (i.e. My
>> Documents, etc.) or than my datafiles.
>>
>> Interestingly, I was finally able to scan the infected
>> drive with AVG and Symantec, AND TDS and none of them
>> found any signs of Sasser (or other virus' for that
>> matter) or the files that Sasser supposedly creates.
So
>> I am not totally convinced that's what is was...but
there
>> are too many people on this bulletin board with the
same
>> problem for it NOT to be some sort of virus. I also
plan
>> to utilize partitions when my drives are rebuilt.
>>
>> Regarding precautionary measures, I have Norton
>> LiveUpdate running, plus TDS (Trojan Defense System)
and
>> now, AVG (from Grisoft.com) AND I keep my Windows
updated
>> with the latest and greatest (MS lets me know
>> automatically and then I perform the updates).
>> Obviously, this wasn't enough protection, so now I have
>> added a router, which I understand will give me MUCH
>> more protection and hopefully prevent this from
happening
>> again.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>> Paula

steps
>> to prevent thes form
>> >happening again as described in the link below. ---
>> Steve
>> >

>> >http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>> >
>> >"Photogirl55" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
must
>> just
and
>> on
Manager or
have
my
up
>> as
>> software,
drive
for
>> the
>> its"
>> default
prefer
I am

>> GREATEST
>> >

>> >.
>> >

>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mirror Hard Drive
    ... >> Anna is right on about the external harddrive and backup software. ... > external drives okay for home systems but should not be relied alone for ... the Ghost disk imaging program over more than four years time. ... The source disk contained corrupted system files (If you clone garbage, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Backup - Restore and Disk Image Program
    ... Steve, you could you please elaborate on the specific problems that a disk ... require much more than ghost or any backup system I know of. ... You can clone drives, create drive images and even backups. ...
  • Re: Computer problem, need help
    ... Having a backup is often the only solution. ... system restore for software failures ... I found the only one to be 100% reliable was Ghost 2003. ... has problems with SATA drives and perhaps problems with partitioned ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Computer problem, need help
    ... Having a backup is often the only solution. ... system restore for software failures ... I found the only one to be 100% reliable was Ghost 2003. ... has problems with SATA drives and perhaps problems with partitioned ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Changing RAID controllers-SBS 2003
    ... by off-OS I mean Ghost or other imaging that boots into a floppy or CD ... Windows dynamic mirror, you cannot trust a Ghost because it sees both ... a full base backup with LSR ... Allow for a ton of time for the initial synching with larger drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)