WMI: Access Denied. SeSecurityPrivilege failure.

From: Parthasarathy Govindarajen (gp_at_fullarmor.com)
Date: 05/19/04

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:42:17 -0400

Hi,

When I run a notification query in the root\cimv2 namespace using Wbemtest
tool I am getting this Access Denied error. In the security log I see two
privilege use 578 failure audit events, whose description tells gives me the
privilege name as "SeSecurityPrivilege".

The machine on which I am running this query is the only domain controller
(Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP 4) on a test domain and I am logged on as a
domain admin.

Here's the query:
select targetinstance from __instancecreationevent where targetinstance isa
'win32_ntlogevent'
and targetinstance.logfile = 'security'

I verified that the domain admins can manage auditing and security logs by
looking in the default domain controller policy and also the effective
setting on the domain controller. I have also tried "enabling all
privileges" and the various authentication level while connecting to the
namespace using the wbemtest tool. Nothing worked. All the time I was
getting access denied.

Could somebody help please?

Thanks in advance,
Partha

Relevant Pages

  • SeSecurityPrivilege failure
    ... When I run a notification query in the root\cimv2 namespace using Wbemtest ... In the security log I see two ... The machine on which I am running this query is the only domain controller ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server)
  • remote query security event log with WMI, HELP!
    ... we are in urgent need of code that will REMOTELY connect and query a ... Security log on a domain controller. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • Re: HELP! Need AD Query for Last login
    ... You want to do this only for the second query that runs on each DC. ... > and how long the revised script took. ... >> ' Because the lastLogon attribute is not replicated, ... Then, for each Domain Controller, ADO is used to search the ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: HELP! Need AD Query for Last login
    ... query the DCs in the USA domain, how would I modify the script? ... I'm new to VB script and making this simple modification is beyond me at ... >> ' Because the lastLogon attribute is not replicated, ... Then, for each Domain Controller, ADO is used to search the ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: HELP! Need AD Query for Last login
    ... You want to do this only for the second query that runs on each DC. ... If the original script ran to completion, I'd like to know how long it took, ... > ' Because the lastLogon attribute is not replicated, ... Then, for each Domain Controller, ADO is used to search the ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)