Re: OU Security - best setup?

From: Steven L Umbach (
Date: 05/17/04

Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:13:38 GMT

Well "insure privacy" will be hard to do on a single domain. I would however
configure the Domain Security Policy to use password complexity as poor passwords are
still the biggest problem to securing resources. Also consider an account lockout
policy with a lockout threshold of no less than ten bad attempts and perhaps a twenty
minute lockout period to help deter hack attempts from within the domain. Enabling
auditing of account logon events, account management, and policy change on domain
controllers and logon events on servers is a great idea so that the security log in
Event Viewer can be reviewed for attempts of unauthorized access. If there is any
data on any server [other than a domain controller] that you do not want "sniffed"
off of the network, consider implementing ipsec policies. Only Windows 2000/2003/XP
Pro computers however can use ipsec and domain controllers must be exempt from ipsec
communications with domain members. The links below on ipsec may be helpful if
interested. --- Steve --- tips on
auditing --- tips on
domain acount/password policy

<> wrote in message
> Steve,
> thanks heaps for the information - Greatly appreciated. Is
> there anything else I should configure to ensure each
> company retains it's privacy?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Win 2000 secutity
    ... You could restrict access to your computer by either computers or users. ... Ipsec can also be used ... computer has an ipsec require policy and the other computers have a compatible ipsec ... the local users on your computer, ...
  • Re: IPSEC Failing (Secure Server)
    ... Troubleshooting IPSec ... exchanges by enabling Audit Policy, which causes security events to be ... logged in the security log of the Event Viewer. ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on ...
  • RE: Access to well-known ports on Win2K
    ... IPSEc does not provide security at the user level; ... policy - works for all users of the machine; and can allow or block access ... many routes for deployment as you mention: Group Policy; Local Security ... > TCP/IP Filtering does not provide port level security at the ...
  • Re: Windows 9x clients authentication
    ... configuring the lan manger authentication level to be "send ntlmv2 responses ... That is a security option under security settings/local ... The only really secure method would be to use ipsec "require" policy on all ...
  • Re: Cant ping my XP Pro laptop
    ... You'll see a node for "IP security" policy, make sure no IPSec ... > Look in Properties for TCP/IP, Advanced, Options, IP Security, Properties. ...