lsass.exe is missing on our w2k server and cannot be restored

From: Dominik (groups_at_mail.businger.ch)
Date: 05/17/04

Date: 17 May 2004 07:29:31 -0700

Hi all,

I have a w2k sp4 server running with exchange. some weeks ago (before
sasser!) the server started behaving strangely. (=> taskmgr.exe eats
far too much cpu-time, server freezes when we terminated any process
via taskmgr.exe, services just stop at random, tlntsvr.exe running ...
) so we took a closer look.

we found out that the windows-update KB835732 couln't be applied. the
update says, that lsass.exe has to be present in order to install the
update.

well we thought it was present... but as it turned out, no lsass.exe
could be found anywhere on our system. so we tried to copy the file
from an other w2k server to the place where it belongs.

this seemed to work but when we took a look at the directory,
lsass.exe was gone. so we tried again, this time we got an error
saying that the file with the specified name allready exists and that
we cannot replace it (as admin in safe mode!!)

we rebooted the system with knoppix and found out, that lsass.exe was
right in place all the time, but apparently somehow hidden from the
w2k-filesystem.

we further found out that it is impossible to create a file with the
name lsass.exe anywhere on our system at all => same sympthoms as
described above.

does anyone have a clue what's going on on our server?!

thanx for your help.

dominik

PS we checked version, date and size of any file running as a process,
disabled the telnet-server and checked dozens of .com, .dll,
.exe-files if they are the correct version. => no change, still unable
to create lsass.exe

Relevant Pages

  • Re: lsass.exe is missing on our w2k server and cannot be restored
    ... I don't see how Windows 2000 can even boot if LSASS is not showing in the Task Manager. ... the server started behaving strangely. ... > PS we checked version, date and size of any file running as a process, ... > disabled the telnet-server and checked dozens of .com, .dll, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: lsass.exe is missing on our w2k server and cannot be restored
    ... I don't see how Windows 2000 can even boot if LSASS is not showing in the Task Manager. ... the server started behaving strangely. ... > PS we checked version, date and size of any file running as a process, ... > disabled the telnet-server and checked dozens of .com, .dll, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • lsass.exe is missing on our w2k server and cannot be restored
    ... the server started behaving strangely. ... server freezes when we terminated any process ... PS we checked version, date and size of any file running as a process, ... disabled the telnet-server and checked dozens of .com, .dll, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • IBM xSeries 345 freezes after 15 min. (4.8, 5.0, 5.1, current)
    ... serveRaid 5-i controller but I replaced it with the ICP controller, ... I have installed FBSD 4.8 and everything looks fine. ... what I am doing after the installation, the server freezes after ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Server Hangs During Backup
    ... Yes the whole Windows server freezes leaving the customer no option but to ... BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE TO DISK = ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)