Re: Help with EFS, lost access to my files after reloading machine

From: David Cross [MS] (dcross_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/27/04

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:26:43 -0700

if you don't have your old user profile at all (are you sure?), then it will
be impossible to recover the files. I am sorry.

--
David B. Cross [MS]
http://support.microsoft.com
"Dean Williams" <dean.williams@aph.gov.au> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Hoping someone can help me.  I was having a few probs on my home machine
so i decided to reload it with XP (i had 2k before).  I backed up all my
important files onto my external usb drive, downloaded any drivers i would
need, reloaded the machine and went to copy everything back.  Sounds simple.
Unfortunately i forgot that a few months ago i encrypted some of my
important files in case my pc got stolen. Now i can not access or move these
files off my external drive.

> Apparently my options are to get my cerficate off the machine which lies
under the user profile, problem is that i didn't back up my entire profile,
only favs and my docs.  Other option is to crack the 128bit enrytion,
something that is a little bit beyond me.

> Can anyone please tell me how to access my damn files??
>
> Please, it would kill me if i lost these..
>
> Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: EFS Security win 2k, lost access to my files... pls help
    ... > my home machine so i decided to reload it with XP (i had ... > machine which lies under the user profile, ... Member of Russian Cryptology Association ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • EFS Security win 2k, lost access to my files... pls help
    ... I was having a few probs on ... my home machine so i decided to reload it with XP (i had ... machine which lies under the user profile, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • EFS win 2k, reloaded machine - no access now to files
    ... I was having a few probs on ... my home machine so i decided to reload it with XP (i had ... machine which lies under the user profile, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: FMP 6 slow to load
    ... David wrote: ... user profile, or a newly-created one, load FMP absolutely fine. ... Any suggestions about what to look within my user profile which might ...
    (comp.databases.filemaker)
  • Re: How to undelete a user profile
    ... This makes it more unlikely that you'll be able to recover them. ... >>> folders under Documents and Settings folder but they ... >>> Are the files permanently erased when a user profile is ...