Help with EFS, lost access to my files after reloading machine

From: Dean Williams (dean.williams_at_aph.gov.au)
Date: 04/27/04

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:11:04 -0700

Hello all,

Hoping someone can help me. I was having a few probs on my home machine so i decided to reload it with XP (i had 2k before). I backed up all my important files onto my external usb drive, downloaded any drivers i would need, reloaded the machine and went to copy everything back. Sounds simple. Unfortunately i forgot that a few months ago i encrypted some of my important files in case my pc got stolen. Now i can not access or move these files off my external drive.

Apparently my options are to get my cerficate off the machine which lies under the user profile, problem is that i didn't back up my entire profile, only favs and my docs. Other option is to crack the 128bit enrytion, something that is a little bit beyond me.

Can anyone please tell me how to access my damn files??

Please, it would kill me if i lost these..

Thanks in advance.