Re: Downloading patches and updates

From: Igor Fomin (XXXigorf_at_XXXdigdes.com)
Date: 04/21/04

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:07:05 +0400

Run Windows Update but don't click "Scan for updates". Click "Windows Update
Catalog" in the left pane. Click "Find updates for Microsoft Windows
operating systems" in the right pane. Select OS and langvage. Select patches
that you need.

"Amanda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just bought and setup a new (Dell) PC at home, with
> W2K as the OS. Checking onpdates and patches, the Quick
> Update tells me that there are 27 updates I need, many of
> which are 'critical'. Given that I'm still using dial-up,
> this would take more than 5 hours of download time... Does
> anyone know of a way to download chosen updates via a
> broadband-connected machine and then transfer these (using
> my USB memory stick) to my home machine?
>
> I've looked in the FAQs but can't see anything there about
> this. However, my apologies if I've missed the answer
> somewhere.
>
> Thanks

  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... but my systems have *never* had an issue in 9 years obtaining and installing updates from WU/MU save for updates to Word and Excel Viewers. ... the ZA clean uninstall, and before reinstalling, I again tried Windows update with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... It's little surprise that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently intentionally abuses its effective monopolistic position through practices such as unreasonably preventing competing web browsers from accessing Windows updates. ... Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls - Enable ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... obtaining and installing updates from WU/MU save for updates to Word and ... with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently ... There are many situations where Zone Alarm does *not* uninstall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently ... install critical updates for my computer, one-by-one, a practical solution? ... ZA's sloppy uninstall routine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Vista update
    ... I am struglged all day with trying to install VISTA service pack 1. ... But Check for Updates did not suggest `Service Pack 1`. ... Exit the command prompt and try Windows Update again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Latest Ed Fosters Gripeline...
    ... The Reader Advocate Column ... Windows Updates and Software Ownership ... the Windows Update software itself -- need to be installed if the update ... starting with the litany of buggy releases Microsoft has foisted on us ...
    (sci.research.careers)