Re: O.K, how do I give 98se access?

From: Tim (Tim_at_NoSpam.com)
Date: 04/05/04

Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:37:20 +1200

Tom,

I realise you may just be having a bit of a rant, but the "Fear / Greed"
thing you talk about doesn't - IMHO - exist.

US companies have by default always erred on the side of providing systems
that are largely by default "Open". The flow on effect of this is that they
also lack inherent security. This has been a successful approach as
evidenced by the growth of the US as the predominant supplier of commercial
operating systems.

Basically "Open" systems are easy to use and consequently sell.

What you are experiencing has nothing to do with Microsoft at all really -
if you went to any other operating system vendor you would still have issues
around setting up a network and there will always be a degree of protection
from outsiders involved. Vendors of operating systems cannot afford to make
assumptions about what all computers will be used for beyond those
assumptions already made: again I refer to the fact that these systems are
by default somewhat "Open". If the ease of use were reduced down further
such that you only needed to plug a cable into a hub and all resources on
all computers were freely accessible then the commercial world would abandon
such operating systems or demand increased default security.

This is in fact happending - security is an issue with businesses and
individuals demanding more. If you were to spend some time reading up about
Windows server 2003, you would find that many of the new features are
security related and much of the nature of these features entails locking
things down more, much more.

If you want an OS that is aimed at the home network that is easier to
configure then I would suggest Windows XP Home - this is a variant of
Windows XP that is targeted specifically for the home market (is next to
useless in a business environment) and by default has simplified or reduced
security settings.

However in the mean time, hang in there. You will get things sorted and will
understand what is going on sooner or later.

To have a go at answering your question:

I am not too sure as I do not work "Workgroup" situations. There are
exceedingly more qualified people out there that will be able to give you
specific well written answers, but on the mean time I suspect you need to
Share the Disc Drives, Directories and Printers so that the other computers
can see them across the network.

To Create a share for a disc drive:

Open My Computer,
Select the disc drive concerned,
Right click and on the popup menu select Sharing
Set the options to suite your needs.
Read Help (Start -> Help).

You should then be able to see these shared folders on the other system.

BTW: next time you are confronted by something like this, then 1) check
Help, 2) post a specific question to an appropriate news group with the
details of what, when, and why.

Regards,

Tim

"Tom Edwards" <tomarch@starband.net> wrote in message
> Now that I have a virgin W2k installed, how do I set
> permissions, mmc's, etc, to allow my 98se computer to
> access that W2K computer? Now it says I have no
> permission. It asks for a non-existent password.
>
> I prefer accessing with no password, as I am the only one
> around here and those computers aren't even connected to
> the Web.
>
> Mini-philosophy: Why does Microsoft operate strictly upon
> the "Fear / Greed" wavelength? Why make systems that lock
> people out (from content-fear) so that they can make a
> bundle on tech assistance charges (greed)? (Well, I guess
> that is the reason, after all).
>
> Why don't they create systems for "normal" users, those
> not linked to some corporate ball and chain? Those not
> trying to hide stuff from family or other users? Why
> not: "To dispense with all password requirements on all
> computers and devices, and never be bothered or locked out
> again, check box at left"!!
>
> Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Insecurity in Finnish parlament (computers)
    ... > It is unlikely that all the computers have the same security ... > (both in TeliaSonera and in our parlament). ... Red herring. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Basic Security Help
    ... a network is weak or no passwords followed by malicious user on your ... -- Use password policy to enforce strong passwords in the domain by enabling ... -- Be sure that computers are kept current of critical security updates from ... Windows Updates or using a SUS server to authorize and distribute security ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
    ... Can Easy To Use Software Also Be Secure ... Anyone who has been working with computers for a long time will have noticed ... because DNS does not configure properly or security permissions are relaxed ... guarantee that no one really knows for sure, not even Microsoft developers. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Arithmetic overflow checking
    ... When operating systems for computers based on said ... mainframes were multi- user, multitasking beasts. ... time the better minis had multi-tasking operating systems, ... earliest micros even had switches and flashing lights (KIM-1, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Is complete home security possible?
    ... > If you are a gamer, some computer games will only run in administrator ... I have a clean disk image made from Norton Ghost, ... security issues to deal with to do it monthly, ... I have been using computers since 76, never had a virus on any of my ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)