Profiles?

From: Alan Illeman (illemann_at_surfbest.net)
Date: 04/04/04

    Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 08:27:28 -0400

    Celeron, 512 MB, Win2K Pro SP4, OE6, IE6, no lan.

    Admin login.

    In c:\Documents and Settings, there are 4 profiles
    (if that's what they are called): Administrator,
    All Users, Default User, and one user account that
    I have created.

    The Start Menu for each profile is different, and
    the actual Start->Programs listing displayed on the
    desktop is different in content from all the four
    individual profiles.

    Here are two examples, the first for access to
    'Administrative Tools', that I would think of as
    being in the Administrators reach; and a second
    example 'Accessibilty', likely to be available to all.

    Documents and Settings . . .Administrative Tools folder:

         User: folder: contents:

    1) Administrator present empty
    2) All Users present present
    3) Default User not present -
    4) "my user" present empty
    5) From START button not present -

    Documents and Settings . . .Accessibility folder:

    1) Administrator present present
    2) All Users present wizard only
    3) Default User present present
    4) "my user" present present
    5) from START button present present

    Can anyone explain: the purpose of "All Users" and
    "Default User"; and how to get Administrative Tools
    accessible through the START button for both the
    Administrator and "my user"? (I know that there are
    other ways of accessing Administrative tools)

    Also, can I Copy/Paste between these 'profile' folders?

    Thanks in advance,
    Alan (Toronto. Canada)

    • Documents and Settings Change Solution- Easy 2 steps for Experienced Users
      ... Do not mount "Docs & Settings" to a different drive. ... Copy ALL files of your "Docs & Settings" to the desired location, ... EXCEPT for the "Administrator". ... Also change the entries for profiles listed below this key, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
    • This is privacy???
      ... my hard drive is FAT32. ... profiles, but was it necessary to actually put shortcuts ... to other people's My Documents folders right in the My ... any user that has Administrator rights on the ...
    • Re: Handling Vista !
      ... As users are not adminstrators of local machine I had to put in administrator password to delete. ... I am thinking as they prompt UAC they cannot be deleted by the roaming profile. ... I can live with that except administrator does not have access rights to these folders, more importantly as administrator doesn't have access to these profiles they dont get backed up, errors happen... ... last week I was setting a new SBS with 5 Vista workstations and got the error with Sonic. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: I need to undo what I did in Users and Passwords
      ... I selected Log off Administrator. ... into the User Folder and NOT the Default User Folder that is what I ... it shows that I have two User Profiles stored on my computer. ... and may God Bless and Give you a Wonderful Christmas if you ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Re: administrator passwords
      ... If you make someone a full administrator then you are placing yourself ... in a contract of trust with that individual. ... It has 5 user profiles, ... > the user profiles from within their own profiles. ...