Re: Use of firewall software in desktops

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 03/30/04

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:44:10 -0500

Andrew Mitchell wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> said
>
>> Andrew Mitchell wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> What VPN client are you using? Maybe try using a third party
>>> firewall on your own machine so it can tell you what ports are
>>> being used by the VPN client and open those specific ports on the
>>> built in XP firewall for your general users.
>>
>> Nothing inbound would need to be opened up for VPN, and since the XP
>> firewall doesn't block any outbound traffic, it should work fine.
>> I've done it :-)
>
> I thought I had read somewhere that the Nokia VPN client required the
> user to open an incoming port below 1024. The only reason I remember
> this is that an ISP in Melbourne (Australia) was having problems due
> to their blocking of all incoming traffic to clients on ports below
> 1024 to stop them running servers.

Hmm - I've never used that client. I've used plenty of Sonicwall and
Checkpoint stuff, and pptp....nothing inbound required. If the tunnel
connection is initiated from the inside, and isn't being blocked, it
just....works. :-)

> Not sure. It was a while ago.....
>
> Andy.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DG834G - can you turn off wireless?
    ... >>Does this latest firmware VPN stuff allow you to set the router up as a VPN ... >>server that would allow the built-in XP client to connect? ... terminate VPN connections it has to passthru any inbound VPN ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • [NEWS] Cisco VPN 5000 Client Multiple Vulnerabilities
    ... Multiple vulnerabilities exist in the Cisco Virtual Private Network (VPN) ... 5000 Client software. ... These vulnerabilities are documented as Cisco bug ID ... CSCdx17109 - MAC OS VPN 5000 Client password vulnerability ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: VPN clients unable to connect to other resources.
    ... gateway matches the IP of the remote client, and DNS and WINS point to the ... remote (although it takes close to a minute to connect, ... This is just regular Windows VPN, ... VPN server, remote routing and access running on the SBS 2003 server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Slow VPN logon and Spuratic folder visibility
    ... I understand that the remote VPN client ... network configuration. ... the VPN client can access SBS fine? ... Slow VPN logon and Spuratic folder visibility ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: VPN timeouts
    ... I do not use ISA & was wondering if there is a configurable option on the ... You remote clients VPN connection will timeout while trying to connect SBS ... between remote client and SBS server which caused by lack of network ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)