Re: Messenger Service PopUps

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 03/19/04

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:17:43 -0500

Does the window title say anything about Messenger? If so, you need a
firewall. 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful, but is symptomatic of
a larger problem - your computer has ports open from the Internet.

You can disable the Messenger service, but that is unwise as a solution as
you'll still have the underlying problem that caused you to get the messages
in the first place - consider the messages a useful warning that you have no
protection from the Internet. This is all too important now, given the
recent rash of RPC worms....

For a standalone machine, see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall,
or if using Windows XP, you can enable the built-in internet connection
firewall (ICF).

See http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm for more info. Also,
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/nopopups.htm is a good resource - although
for browser popups, you might want to consider http://toolbar.google.com -
it works like a champ and is also handy for searching.

Lorna wrote:
> How do I get rid of these annoying pop-ups? Have tried
> message blocker software, etc.
>
> I do a lot of work on my home computer and don't have time
> to keep clicking these!!!
>
> Please help!!!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: sign in
    ... If your password information is not saved, verify ... If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, ... Internet Security etc.), it's possible ... You may need to re/add Messenger to the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: error 0x81000370
    ... If your password information is not saved, verify that ... If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet ... You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: Cant log onto WM or the Passport sites
    ... If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the ... If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc.), it's possible ... You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: MSN Messenger 7.5 not working
    ... > at least until you can restore your normal Messenger functionality: ... If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing ... If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: messenger messages
    ... Does the window title say anything about Messenger? ... a larger problem - your computer has ports open from the Internet. ... For a standalone machine, see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)