Re: can not access account after changing domain to workgroup

From: Bob (
Date: 03/01/04

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:00:50 -0800

    Unfortunately that is a problem. My Company closed my
site and I was layoff with several hundred other people.
As part of the closure I was able to buy my machine.
It worked great as a stand alone with the same domani.
Bottom line, I cannot get it back on the network because
the domain no longer exists.
     As stated originally, I just changed from domain to
workgroup and re-booted. Then I could no longer access the
      Since it looks like I can not take your suggestion
and I do not want to lose any software or data on my machine.

Is the next step to change the password for administrator?
If so, I noticed several issues that covered this.
Like the suggestion of rename the SAM file.

Please guide me.

belongs and ask
>the system administrator to rejoin it for you.
>Microsoft SBS-MVP
>"Bob" <> schreef in bericht
>> Folks,
>> I was trying to set up a home network between a Windows
>> 2000 Professional (with a Domain name) and a Winnt 4.0
>> (with a workgroup name)via a 4 node netgear device.
>> After setting secuity to everyone on both PCs, I still
>> could not get them to see each other.
>> I then when to the help in windows 2000 pro and
>> followed directions. they suggested that I reconfigure to
>> a workgroup.
>> I did and then rebooted. the windows OS boot properly.
>> Now when I try to login, I get screen with only
>> username and password and no domian selection. When I try
>> to login, it says that the password and domain does not
>> I can not get back in. I can get to dos prompt via
>> safe mode. I am not the administor of the PC.
>> How can I get access back to my account?
>> Sice I can get to the DOS prompt, is there a file
>> that I can reset the worgroup back to domain?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Having problems adjusting to XP
    ... and why can't they neaten the wiring in there?.. ... you should not know what is under the Windows hood.. ... Network places exists because you have a NIC (Network Interface ... I am the administrator, I am all users, ...
  • Re: RDC Failing from home to work???
    ... Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP) ... >> login screen but after I put in my username and password ... >> login...after I attempt to login I see the connection ... >> the same network from home. ...
  • Re: Domain Users loging into Win98 machine.
    ... You can delete all the PWL files in the Windows directory to overcome this. ... doing you or your network any favours. ... > When login onto the Win98 machine connected to the network using a user ... > innitial login prompt asks for username, pass, domain. ...
  • Re: cannot login because the domain not available
    ... The "administrator" login still performs the same error. ... When you press CTRL+ALT+DEL to logon - you are getting the classic Windows ... HP, IBM, etc) - usually the built-in account is untouched and has no ...
  • Re: Login Immediately Loggin Off
    ... The login message box says "loading settings" then quickly ... not on a Windows Domain). ... What is the network "cure"? ...