Re: Microsoft vs Norton

From: Mike Aubert (
Date: 02/24/04

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:04:50 -0600

Hi Kate,

That's not an email from Microsoft - it's a virus. The virus forges the
e-mail address to make it look like the email is from Microsoft but it's
actually not. This page has more info on the virus and if you scroll about
half way down you can see a picture of the fake Microsoft email:

As far as I'm aware, Microsoft will never send you files via email unless
you request them.

Just to be safe online, never open files from people you do not know or even
if you do know the person and the file ends with .exe, .com, .bat, .pif,
.scr (or if the file is zipped and the .zip file contains one of these file
types inside) do not open the file*.

* These are just the most common ones, there are a bunch more that are
considered "dangerous." Here is a link to one list that came up on Google:

Mike Aubert

Note the "news2" in my email address is temporary and may be changed in the
future, remove it to email me at my Permanente address.

"kate" <> wrote in message
> Today I received from Microsoft an e mail headed "newest
> internet critical patch" with an attachment. When I
> opened the attachment, a message read "Norton Antivirus
> had removed the attachment: update. exe, because it was
> infected with the W32.Swen.A@mm virus."
> Does anyone know what's happened here?
> Thank you.

Relevant Pages

  • Blank Pages on Virus & Window Patches Pages
    ... In Norman Virus Control the following message comes us. ... Dear Windows Support ... From: Microsoft Australia Product Support ... please use the System Configuration Utility. ...
  • Re: trojan virus PLEASE HELP!
    ... Tip 9 should help you get rid of a virus. ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ...
  • Re: shutting down
    ... please contact Microsoft at 1-866-PCSafety. ... Windows XP Professional ... participating in the Microsoft Virus Information Alliance, ... sluggish or your Internet connection is slow ...
  • Re: Did Microsoft create Opaserv worm to improve Win2k sales?
    ... >> As far as I could tell, this virus shouldn't destroy any of your ... and that's true whether you're running Windows or Linux ... >> you hadn't installed the free Microsoft security patch from TWO AND ... >>> I was recently hit by the Opaserv worm. ...
  • Re: Missing Features in Office 2003
    ... Microsoft does not "moderate" these groups, ... the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal ... An IT staff member who's never heard of Google?! ...