Re: PswdRequired Field

From: Steven L Umbach (sumbach_at_nospam-ameritech.net)
Date: 02/19/04

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:40:05 GMT

I would examine those user accounts and see how their properties differ from
other users who do not report the same. Possibly some other account option
is being interpreted wrongly [password never expires or user can not change
password??]. Another thing to try is to email the folks at Somar and ask
them what is going on. Also run "net user username" on the domain controller
to see what it reports for one of those users to see if it provides a
clue.--- Steve

"James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a Windows 2000 AD domain. The dumpsec 2000 tool has been run on
our domain controllers and it outputs the
> PswdRequired field and shows it set to "No" for certain user accounts.
Our domain password policy has a minimum password length of 8 characters.

> This blank password setting is found in a Windows NT 4 domain but I do not
see it in AD. So now our auditor thinks we allow blank passwords.

> I don't see this field any where including ADSI Edit. Is this just some
legacy thing or what?

> Thanks - James

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Rejoing a domain
    ... the profile remains intact because that is part of ... >> able to login the user accounts without rejoining the ... >> it back in sync was to also tell the domain controller ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Help in finding account lockout source
    ... event viewer gave me the IP of the offending computer; ... appears that the domain controller itself is the one locking the ... Check your saved passwords in Control Panel> User accounts> Advanced tab> ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • RE: How to generate a report of inactive domain user accounts
    ... the same format that SQL server store a standard datetime field (this is ... How to generate a report of inactive domain user accounts ... Each time a Domain Controller authenticates a user, ... SurfControl E-mail Filter for SMTP & Exchange leverages multiple layers ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: How to generate a report of inactive domain user accounts
    ... the same format that SQL server store a standard datetime field (this is ... How to generate a report of inactive domain user accounts ... Each time a Domain Controller authenticates a user, ... SurfControl E-mail Filter for SMTP & Exchange leverages multiple layers ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Domain logon
    ... But then they are not able to use the machine without an available Domain controller. ... Best regards ... failures user accounts are locked out for 30 min. ... XP pro client PC's ...