RE: 832894 phish fix -- TCP broken

From: Chris Twist (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/11/04

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 05:31:11 -0800

I had a similar problem when I installed this patch on a fully patched version of Windows XP Home & IE6 SP1. After installing it, I was unable to access the Internet.

The solution was to do a system restore (i.e. the system restore that is built into XP). Windows saved a restore point immmediately before installing the patch, so I rolled back to a point about 10 minutes earlier (during that period I had only installed the patch and rebooted). After rolling back, I was able to access the Internet.

I repeated this entire process a second time, with identical results. After installing the patch, I couldn't access the Internet. After rollling back, I could access the Internet.

Relevant Pages

  • 9_Recommended error codes (specifically return code 5)
    ... * "return code 2" indicates patches are already installed. ... * "return code 25" means a patches requires another patch that is not yet installed. ... With or without using the save option, the patch installation process ... Installing 114008-01... ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Which security patch NOT to install
    ... This revised patch corrects an installation issue that some customers ... has caused some customers difficulty installing the patch. ... Unless she has the previous patch for those languages installed why ... (Command Software A/V) ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Bit of a rocky start
    ... retrieving character lists which Blizzard says should be resolved by 4:30. ... Patch required, gulp. ... Blizzard updater appears, 1% installing "locale-wnUS.MPQ' ... Okay, so, framerate seems to be slightly up, or maybe my imagination. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: MS02-018 Breaking ASP ODBC
    ... > after installing the latest security hotfixes as of April ... >>1) IIS 5 web server can't be contacted. ... >>before the patch and that fixed that problem. ... >>load some VB components that fail to connect to my Oracle ...
  • Re: Bug in IE critical patch?
    ... The patch is important for your security, ... > I may have left Norton running while installing the patch. ... >> Did you "download" the patch via Windows Update? ...