Re: .adm & .inf files

From: Oli Restorick [MVP] (oli_at_mvps.org)
Date: 01/12/04

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:51:09 -0000

For importing and exporting rules, you might want to take a look at the
Group Policy Management Console (GPMC). I think it is possible without
GPMC, but it's clunky and difficult.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/management/gp/default.asp

Download Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) with Service Pack 1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C355B04F-50CE-42C7-A401-30BE1EF647EA&displaylang=en

You need to have Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 to run the GPMC on and
for licensing purposes, you need to undertake to license at least one
Windows Server 2003 machine, but you don't need to have your AD running on
Windows Server 2003 machines, nor do your clients need to be running Windows
XP.

Hope this helps

Oli

"Mike" <bigbart5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have downloaded the office, outlook, word, etc .adm files, as well as
> the recommended .inf file from the http://www.nsa.gov/snac/, and have
> imported them into the Group Policy.
>
> I am now going to make some additional changes to some of the settings,
> which will be tested in the test environment. My question is once I have
> made those changes, how do I transfer those onto the live environment?
>
> Ideally, I would like to create my own .adm / .inf files which I can them
> easily import. Is this possible?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Mike

Relevant Pages

  • Re: group policy in windows server 2003 r2 64bit
    ... GPMC is the user interface-administration tool; the underlying Group Policy capability is inherent in Active Directory, so 2003 R2 64 bit Domain Controllers can "push" policies to clients, but you cann't administer them when logged on at the domain controller. ... In a Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit domain member, GPMC can be added as a "Feature" and it seems to be working normally. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • RE: GPMC problems
    ... GPMC won't fix any Group Policy problems by itself - it just offers a richer ... MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services. ...
  • RE: Tool to view effective AD settings
    ... GPMC can be used in a W2k/AD environment as well. ... Be sure to downlaod the latest GPMC with SP1 (Included XP/SP2 settings) ... If you're using Windows Server 2003, try the Group Policy Management ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: GPMC issues in XP
    ... [[The GPMC can manage both Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 domains with ... When installing GPMC on Windows XP Professional with SP1, ... Enterprise Management with the Group Policy Management Console ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • How to Disable the Unused Section of Group Policy Settings
    ... Is there a way to disable the unused section of a group policy via the group ... I've read this speeds up the processing of GPOs ... through GPMC. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)