Re: intermittent problems with software install via GPO

From: Steven L Umbach (sumbach_at_nospam-ameritech.net)
Date: 01/08/04

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:45:34 GMT

This sounds like a dns or possibly replication issue. I suggest that you run
netdiag and then dcdiag on each domain controller while logged on as a
domain administrator looking for any failed tests. If that looks good run
netdiag on one of the problem machines. Using nslookup can also be helpful
in determining if they have are using the correct dns server and that it is
rsolving names. Never ever have an ISP dns server listed in the tcp/ip
properties of any domain machine or you will get weird behaviour - sometimes
everything will seem fine and then all the sudden something does not work
right. Netdiag and dcdiag are located on the install cdrom in the
\support\tools folder where you will need to run the setup program.--- Steve

"Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On some Windows 2000 Pro machines, we get errors like these in the system
> log:
>
> No Domain Controller is available for domain LONGWOOD due to the
following:
> There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request.
> .
> Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If
> the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.
>
> No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain
> LONGWOOD. The following error occurred:
> There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request.

> The machines still allow domain logons and still have access to our
network
> (in fact, the workstation can ping both of our DCs).
>
> Everything works, but we can't get the GPO software to work all the times.
> On most machines this works flawlessly. Anyone seen this? Ideas?
>
> Blake

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Block clients from accessing domain controllers
    ... does not manage the network or at times are not the admins for the machines. ... >> the domain controller. ... We have seen upwards of 200000 failed logon ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Remote Desktop - change in the way I am asked to logon - whats happened ?
    ... their own logons (ie there's no domain controller involved). ... my screen was an image of teh other machines logon screen (in other ... Updates' checked - Under Windows XP Software Updates... ...
  • Firewall
    ... I have one domain controller and 1 window server. ... firewall between this 2 machines. ... I have opened the following port: ... logon. ...
  • Re: migration from win 2000 to Win2k8 server Ent - URGENT
    ... Win2k8 Ent Server does not run dcdisg and netdiag giving following error ... Domain Controller Diagnosis ... Connecting to directory service on server mediaphoneplus.com. ... DcDiag: a dcdiag exception raised, ...
  • Re: Auditing User logon/logoff events.
    ... u say in the document like i enabled "Account logon events" only in domain ... Then i am getting 672,673 event ids in my domain controllers event viewer. ... can see this log in domain controller security log. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)