intermittent problems with software install via GPO

From: Blake (blake_duffey_at_NOSPAM.hotmail.com)
Date: 01/08/04

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:21:55 -0500

On some Windows 2000 Pro machines, we get errors like these in the system
log:

No Domain Controller is available for domain LONGWOOD due to the following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
.
Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If
the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain
LONGWOOD. The following error occurred:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

The machines still allow domain logons and still have access to our network
(in fact, the workstation can ping both of our DCs).

Everything works, but we can't get the GPO software to work all the times.
On most machines this works flawlessly. Anyone seen this? Ideas?

Blake

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Logon Script Question
    ... work in a mixed env.,, I'm ... The 98 machines seem to be the hangup on most of what I need to do (GPO, ... If you're running Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, ... that I could map a directory at logon that had many subdirectories in ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
  • Re: Domain Logon
    ... > I'm trying to logon to a domain using Windows XP Home. ... > The domain/workgroup is set up and lots of other machines ... > All the other machines on the network can see and access ... Windows XP Home Edition may not become a member of a Domain and will not ...
  • Re: Is it possible to make changes to a group policy through script?
    ... computer startup and logon" on all Windows XP machines in the network, ... apply this change in an environment consisting of Win2k3 DC's and Windows XP ... How do I force Windows XP Local Group Policy to update? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Logon Script Question
    ... Forgot to mention that this is a mixed environment meaning XP/2000/98SE... ... Obviously I'd like to dump the 98 machines, and there aren't many left on ... I'd would have hoped that Microsoft would have addressed logon ... If you're running Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
  • Re: Cryptogram Comment
    ... >> bother me with Windows questions. ... >> machines are broken. ... Just like if you don't know to tune up your car every year then you ... > and Linux and other open OS's make all patches FREE to redistribute. ...
    (sci.crypt)