This is Definitely a BUG!! Re: Can't disable "Trusted" for Certificates Issued by MS Certificate Server

From: Ohaya (ohaya_at_cox.net)
Date: 10/28/03

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:34:35 -0500

Hi,

Using OpenSSL, I can see the actual list of trusted CAs that IIS is
sending out, and this is showing that regardless of the setting of the
purpose of the root certificate for MS Certificate Server, IIS is ALWAYS
including the root certificate for MS Certificate Server in the list.

I think that this definitely is a bug. At this point, based on what
I've found, it would not be in IE, but has to be in either IIS or
CryptoAPI.

Why is no one responding to this???

Ohaya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how I can report this as a potential bug to Microsoft?
>
> FYI, I happen to have imaged my Windows 2K Server partition immediately
> after installing Windows, AD, IIS, and Certificate Manager, and before doing
> anything else.
>
> I've confirmed that with a fresh restore from the abovementioned image, the
> problem that I described in my original post already exists.
>
> Please advise....
>
> "Ohaya" <ohaya@NO_SPAM.cox.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think that I have encountered a somewhat serious "bug" somewhere. I
> > can't tell if it's a CryptoAPI bug, an IIS bug, or whatever, so I'm
> > cross-posting this to several newsgroups. This seems like (to me) a
> > rather serious problem, and I'll try to describe what's happening as
> > best I can, and also provide a somewhat kludgy workaround.
> >

> > Background:
> > ===========
> > Server: Win2K Advanced Server SP4, updated on Friday (10/24/03)
> > Server is the DC (i.e., ActiveDirectory is installed)
> > MS Certificate Server is installed
> > IIS5
> >
> > Client: Win2K Pro SP4, updated same date as server
> > IE 6.0.2800.1106
> >

> > I have been preparing to configure the above server for SSL with server
> > and client authentication for awhile.
> >
> > Before I did that, in order to do some pre-testing, I issued a server
> > cert for IIS with MS Certificate Server, and several client certs.
> >
> > I got all of this (SSL with client and server authentication) working,
> > including IE would display the client certs that were issued by MS
> > Certificate Server whenever I tried to connect from IE to IIS.
> >

> > Then, using the IIS server certificate wizard, I deleted the original MS
> > Certificate Server-issued server cert, then created a new server
> > certificate request, which I then sent to my commerical CA one night.
> > The next morning, I received the new server cert from my commercial CA,
> > along with a set of test client certificates.
> >
> > I then installed the root cert from my commercial CA on the server, and
> > then using IIS, used the IIS server certificate wizard to install the
> > new server cert that I had just received from my commercial CA.
> >
> > I also installed one of the test client certificates from my commercial
> > CA, and installed it on my client machine, and began testing.
> >

> > Problem:
> > ========
> > From some previous testing with an earlier similar (SSL client and
> > server authentication) setup, I found that I could control which client
> > certificates that IE would display, when connecting to the server, by
> > enabling or disabling the "Client Authentication" Purpose in the root CA
> > certificate Purposes for specific root CAs.
> >
> > In other words, if I disabled/unchecked the "Client Authentication"
> > purpose for the root CA cert for "Whatever CA", then client certificates
> [...]

Relevant Pages