Re: Recovery from total hack

From: Miha Pihler (miha.pihler_at_Atlantis-N0Spam.si)
Date: 08/05/03

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 22:21:36 +0200

Hi Rob,

Personally I like to Create new User and give him User name e.g. "Jack" with
full admin permissions and then disable Administrator Account. This will
prevent anyone from knowing in advance who my admin is. I is not much but it
is something. Then you can monitor failed logon attempts and see if anyone
is trying to use administrator account.
Well of course passwords should be strong :-) ...

Often on my PCs my user account is the only admin (Not on servers! On my
desktops, laptops, etc...). I know this can be "dangerous" but I export my
EFS keys and store them in safe location. Anything else is a matter of
taking ownership if files in worse case scenario... I guess I could lose one
day work by having to reinstall my laptop ... :-)

About phoning home. That's the reason why I am telling you to check and
close on unnecessary outgoing connections. Allow only outbound to mail
services, DNS, web, and other service that you _need_. Deny everything
else...

Mike

"Rob" <handyman42m@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the advice!
> I have changed all users, all passwords, reinstalled
> Norton and the firewalls, and made sure the firewalls had
> new settings ie no 'remembered' programs from the previous
> installation.
> BTW, the admin pw on all machines was very weak, guess I
> need to practice at home what I preach at work.
> I guess what I'm worried about is that some executable
> they left is phoning home thru the firewall [think...
> keystroke logger] using an allowed program, such as the
> services and controller app. I think I'll put everything
> on watch for a bit , pain in the butt, but I can see
> when/why/where they are trying to communicate with that
> way.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Incoming E-Mail - cant create contact in OU
    ... central admin pool different than the web app. ... that account a little (if the web app is compromised or something, ... So I started with giving the app pool account domain admins permissions then ...
  • Re: Please help, no administrator access!
    ... hidden admin account i had to admin to activate it, ... clicked command prompt ... of keys in the form of another administrator account just in case. ...
  • Re: Vista Security Problem
    ... Have you changed any security permissions on files recently? ... Using the built-in administrator account, start the local group policy editor for both the local computer and your normal username: ... > running yet I cannot find the security service in admin tools/computer ...
  • RE: [Full-disclosure] Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching Allows Local Workstation Admins t
    ... Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching Allows ... Local Workstation Admins to Temporarily Escalate Privileges and Login as ... Cached Domain Admin Accounts ... administrator" is a "bigger" administrator than the local administrator. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching Allows Local Workstation Admins t
    ... Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching Allows ... Local Workstation Admins to Temporarily Escalate Privileges and Login as ... Cached Domain Admin Accounts ... administrator" is a "bigger" administrator than the local administrator. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)