Re: Open port for RDP

From: Marc Reynolds \(MSFT\) (
Date: 05/31/03

    Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 21:17:45 -0500

    Hi John,

    The RDP client uses TCP port 3389. Is it secure - that is loaded question,
    but obviously opening a port is less secure than the port being closed. But
    if you have strong security on your server with Terminal Services it should
    be reasonably safe.

    Hope this helps,

    "John Francisco Williams" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group. I would like to open a port on my firewall to redirect users to
    > connect to a Windows 2000 server with Terminal Services enabled. They are
    > using the Remote Desktop Connection that comes with XP. What port should I
    > open? Is this insecure?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Frank

    • Re: Terminal Services
      ... my question relates to terminal services on a Windows 2000 ... One of our clients has Windows 2000 Server, ... The server connects directly to a DG814 ADSL modem/router, ... I wondered if port 3389 needed adding to the DG814 also, ...
    • RE: break in? - terminal services on alternate port
      ... The smartest and best thing to do if you must open the terminal services ... port to the world is to change the port that terminal services runs on. ... terminal server accessible to the worls for literally year now with no ... I had configured the firewall to only all TS ...
    • Terminal Services
      ... my question relates to terminal services on a Windows 2000 Server. ... I added port 3389 to the FVS318 and forwarded it to the ip address ... though remote login is the only problem they are having? ...
    • RE: Lotus Notes - Is this a bad thing?
      ... > Make sure you have your firewall set up right... ... Remember that something secure today may not be tomorrow so, ... Try cutting UDP access to the server completely, ... Make sure port encryption is enabled on the servers ...
    • Re: ts accept lan connection but not wan connection
      ... Can you telnet to server and port from Lab B? ... Your Terminal Services Security Website ...