Re: Find IP address from computer name

From: Phil (pmarg_at_charter.net)
Date: 05/10/03

Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 15:45:15 GMT

Jeremy Winston <winston@cat.RIP.edu> wrote in
news:3EBCE505.8050002@cat.RIP.edu:

> Phil wrote:
>> Is there any way to track down the IP address of a computer name that
>> keeps showing up in the security event log on our domain controllers?
>> See the [...]
>> from workstation: \\COMPUTERX
>
> nbtstat -a COMPUTERX
>
> might work.
>
> -Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. Here's the output of that command:

C:\>nbtstat -a computerx

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []

    Host not found.

Our company is large. It is split into 130 locations. Most locations are
running their own domains and most do not trust any other domains. The
intire WAN is behind a firewall. This computer is on a separate, non-
trusting domain. 2 months ago our entire network was hit by the
W32.HLLW.Nebiwo virus. Most of it is cleaned off, at least the part of the
network that I have control over. However, there are some computer names
that keep showing up in the event logs as a result of them still having
this virus. If I could somehow retrieve the IP address, I could track it
down to the appropriate location and get them to run the virus removal
tool.

   -Phil