Re: Find IP address from computer name

From: Phil (pmarg_at_charter.net)
Date: 05/10/03

Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 15:45:15 GMT

Jeremy Winston <winston@cat.RIP.edu> wrote in
news:3EBCE505.8050002@cat.RIP.edu:

> Phil wrote:
>> Is there any way to track down the IP address of a computer name that
>> keeps showing up in the security event log on our domain controllers?
>> See the [...]
>> from workstation: \\COMPUTERX
>
> nbtstat -a COMPUTERX
>
> might work.
>
> -Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. Here's the output of that command:

C:\>nbtstat -a computerx

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []

    Host not found.

Our company is large. It is split into 130 locations. Most locations are
running their own domains and most do not trust any other domains. The
intire WAN is behind a firewall. This computer is on a separate, non-
trusting domain. 2 months ago our entire network was hit by the
W32.HLLW.Nebiwo virus. Most of it is cleaned off, at least the part of the
network that I have control over. However, there are some computer names
that keep showing up in the event logs as a result of them still having
this virus. If I could somehow retrieve the IP address, I could track it
down to the appropriate location and get them to run the virus removal
tool.

   -Phil

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Open File and Save As dont work
    ... file) not showing up for some users. ... "David Evans" wrote in message ... I have also run a virus scanner but that found nothing. ... >> Director of Graduate Programs in Educational Technology ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • shelldrv.exe
    ... It does not show up as a virus. ... But it's running without showing up in the Task Manager, ... When running, it creates a file called "shelldrv" in C:\Windows\system32, ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Shell32.dll running at startup
    ... > keeps on showing up in the Startup directory of "All Users" or individual ... > Setings) but it keeps on showing back. ... > - A virus scan has been performed with the latest patern & program from ...
  • Outlook Express Error message
    ... Error message keeps showing up ... "Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to ... McAfee Virus scan ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)