Re: 5th message - is Microsoft going to post a welcome message?

From: Jeremy Winston (winston_at_cat.RIP.edu)
Date: 05/07/03

Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 09:27:28 -0400

Keith W. McCammon wrote:
>>Or did the sysadmin do an "rm -rf *" by mistake?
>
> An interesting and ironic hypothesis. Microsoft using BSD to run their
> newsgroups :)

Well, there *is* a precedent; IIRC, MS's Hotmail is (was?) run on
FreeBSD and Solaris.

OTOH, there are plenty of ports of the *nix tools to W32.
E.g., I am using the GNU sh-utils, v2.3, on W2K.

-Jeremy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: mail service confusion
    ... Hotmail is Not a newsgroup reader. ... can't select it as the news reader in your Internet options. ... If you don't want to use Outlook Express for reading newsgroups, ... You mention that with the notifications, the links work 60% of the time. ...
  • Re: I cant read my responses on here ?? from my e-mail !! HELP
    ... [The web-interface has been FUBAR since the 23rd, Daave.] ... I use hotmail for all my email not Outlook Express. ... Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express Newsreader ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: mail service confusion
    ... went to Hotmail and now can open the notifications such as yours - when I ... If you don't want to use Outlook Express for reading newsgroups, ... 1-I have xp sp2 and use Comcast web based server as my regular mail. ...
  • Re: I cant read my responses on here ?? from my e-mail !! HELP
    ... That would make it inferior and problematic. ... I use hotmail for all my email not Outlook Express. ... Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express Newsreader ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Newsgroups
    ... Hotmail does not offer Newsgroups. ... You'll need to go through your ISP (many ... Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)