Group policy setting for files/folders

From: Parvathy (sriparvathy@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/03/03

From: sriparvathy@hotmail.com (Parvathy)
Date: 3 Apr 2003 03:54:20 -0800

Hi,
   The main problem i am facing is that the group policy setting done
in the server regarding giving access to files/folders for certain set
of users/groups doesn't come into effect in the client machine...

I have done the following steps for doing Group policy settings..:-

1> I have created an Organizational Unit(OU) in the active directory
users and computers and have created 2 to 3 users under it.

2> I have linked a group policy object to this Organizational
Unit(OU).
This group policy object has the Group Policy setting for giving
file/folder access to certain users/groups.

when i logon as one of the user under the same domain, only the NTFS
permissions come into effect and not the Group policy setting. I am
not getting the combined effect of both...
To be clear, I have given read access permissions to only
administrator using NTFS and has given read access permission to
another user using group policy setting.
Now..If i logon as administrator in the client machine,i am able to
access the files ..but if i logon as another user,i am not able to
access any files(this means that Group policy setting is not coming
into effect).

According to me, the combined effect of NTFS and Group policy setting
has to come into picture in the client machine...right?

Am i missing some setting here?

Thanx in advance
Parvathy

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Tired of fighting with Group Policy and Offline File Encryption
    ... To modify the Active Directory Group Policy setting to reference the new ... Modify the "Encrypt the Offline Files cache" Group Policy setting. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Explorer crash when C drive hidden
    ... Windows Server Std 2003 ... Group policy setting on users to Hide C drive in My Computer and ... When users open Windows Explorer and try to expand My Computer, ... settings have not been applied in group policy for their OU. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: KIOSK MODE?
    ... Yes their is no SRP in Windows 2000. ... Group Policy setting under user configuration/administrative ... > Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: GPO to prevent Remote User Password Cache?
    ... startup script via Group Policy to change such. ... > Domain PC running the XP-pro MS VPN client, ... > their Domain user name and password each time. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: add domainuser account to local group
    ... You can use the net localgroup command in a batch file for the Group Policy ... either "members of this group" which will remove those users/groups not ... included or "this group is a member of" to make sure that the users/groups ...