Security of IP addresses assgined by DHCP

From: Jim (jim.garrett@lifeway.com)
Date: 03/06/03

From: "Jim" <jim.garrett@lifeway.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 07:22:42 -0800

We have been wrestling with the issue of the use of DHCP
and the ability for any outside system once inside the
building and configured for DHCP being able to connect to
our network. We are examing policy concerning wireless
access, yet for any contractor/vendor allowed in the
building they can connect any non-corporate approved
device to the network and receive access via DHCP.

Are their any DHCP configurations/software available that
would allow for some kind of "inspection" of the device
requesting an IP address from a DHCP server, and determine
if indeed this device is "approved" to receive an IP
address? I'm aware of techniques to utilize MAC addresses,
but this seems to potentially be an administration
nightmare.

Thanks

Jim