Re: W2k/SQL server generating mass network load

From: Shannon Jacobs (shanen@my-deja.com)
Date: 02/25/03

From: "Shannon Jacobs" <shanen@my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:32:41 +0900

Not slammer?

Christiaan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> W2kserver with SP3, SQLserver2000, IIS 5 with latest SP is
> installed. Also I implemented Hisecweb.inf and IISlockdown
> tool. Only the HTTP and SQL ports are available. When I
> discovered, while having serious network problems, that
> this server is connecting to apprx. 600 various IP's, it
> is using all the network bandwith. Pinging the
> gateway/router from a different server on the same
> segment, it's causing a major timeout. Netstat doesn't
> give me any unusual connections. When using a sniffer, I
> can see the W2k/SQL server is very busy polling al these
> IP's. The IP adrresses are various, the're all outside the
> network and directly from the Internet.
> A simple though would bring me to a Trojan or an attacker
> from outside. Is there a tool available from which I can
> see what is causing this 'heavy traffic' except from the
> software I mentioned above?
> Many thanks so far,
> Christiaan.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Using Windows server 2003, PC unable to shudown and froze the
    ... Our server is running "Windows server 2003, ... On the network we have about 15 printers scatters in the building. ... is trying to shutdown it will go in a loop and refuse to shutdown. ... causing the problem so the ...
  • Re: Long response time at a certain time each week
    ... is causing the slowdown, and it is specific to this ... network are affected. ... >> Our server is experiencing random slowdowns (for ... >> server, either. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: network bottleneck causing performance issues ?
    ... - is it the application causing the problem ... * could you run the application on another server / computer and see what ... > causing the application response to degrade. ... > this is being caused by any possible network problems either at the client ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • W2kserver/SQLserver generating mass Netwrok load
    ... this server is connecting to apprx. ... is using all the network bandwith. ... it's causing a major timeout. ... give me any unusual connections. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Fully parallel Scheme-based language w/ evaluator
    ... Windows Server 2003 and networks in simple - and irreverent - terms. ... If networking really is a big deal, ... Concepts and Terminology in Part I, and The Design and Deployment of Network ...
    (comp.lang.misc)