Recover EFS Files

From: Jason (jason@hillside.orgq)
Date: 02/19/03

From: "Jason" <jason@hillside.orgq>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:33:29 -0800

Okay, here we go. The My Documents directory of a user was
encrypted while the Windows 2000 Pro box was a stand alone
system. Later, it was joined to a Windows 2000 Domain.
After that point, the files were no longer accessable.
Using efsinfo on one of the files, we find....

c:\ efsinfo /c file.doc

file.doc: Encrypted
  Users who can decrypt:
    ComputerName\UserName (OU=EFS File Encryption
Certificate, L=EFS, CN=UserName)
    Certificate thumbprint: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
xxxx xxxx xxxx A8CD

then using....

c:\efsinfo /y

Your current EFS certificate thumbnail information on the
PC named ComputerName is:

  xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx A8CD

SO, it appears that this user should be able to decrypt
the file, even the thumbnails match. However when
attempting to access the file, no good. Also when
attempting to change the properties from EFS, no good.

Whatever help you can offer is greatly apprecaited.

Jason