Recover EFS Files

From: Jason (jason@hillside.orgq)
Date: 02/19/03

From: "Jason" <jason@hillside.orgq>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:33:29 -0800

Okay, here we go. The My Documents directory of a user was
encrypted while the Windows 2000 Pro box was a stand alone
system. Later, it was joined to a Windows 2000 Domain.
After that point, the files were no longer accessable.
Using efsinfo on one of the files, we find....

c:\ efsinfo /c file.doc

file.doc: Encrypted
  Users who can decrypt:
    ComputerName\UserName (OU=EFS File Encryption
Certificate, L=EFS, CN=UserName)
    Certificate thumbprint: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
xxxx xxxx xxxx A8CD

then using....

c:\efsinfo /y

Your current EFS certificate thumbnail information on the
PC named ComputerName is:

  xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx A8CD

SO, it appears that this user should be able to decrypt
the file, even the thumbnails match. However when
attempting to access the file, no good. Also when
attempting to change the properties from EFS, no good.

Whatever help you can offer is greatly apprecaited.

Jason

Relevant Pages

  • Re: user does not have acces privileges
    ... to reinstall the windows to do that. ... ownership is the reason of the inaccessibility. ... I'm not an expert but I find out, it is not the encryption but ... "Zorro" wrote: ...
  • Re: user does not have acces privileges
    ... But now at the new files I should have the right EFS key in my computer. ... That means there is something wrong with the ownership settings and that was ... Or it is only matter if the encryption is combined with the ownership change? ... to reinstall the windows to do that. ...
  • Re: Cannot access encrypted files after reinstalling Windows XP Professional
    ... able to break the encryption in a reasonable amount of time. ... > keys are generated each time you do an install, ... > they would be related to the Windows serial key, ... >>> All data files are stored on partition D:. ...
  • RE: Windows Server 2003 - Not secure from my test but OSX from Mac is secure from the start
    ... When enabled in mode 3 you can store the system encryption key ... Sadly most Windows admins are not fully aware of all the security tools ... Worms & Port Scans ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Protecting sensitive files on a Windows file server
    ... Protecting sensitive files on a Windows file server ... compatible encryption type to protect the files, ... How are others protecting this information in their place of work? ...
    (Security-Basics)