pop-ups

From: Shadow (shadowsports@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/16/03

From: "Shadow" <shadowsports@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 07:12:53 -0800

Mike, Steve,
I am running Win2k pro also. Last night I got a messenger
service pop-up spam. Concerning to me, because I was at
windows update site logged on as Admin. which I never do
except for installs and updates. I see it was recorded in
the alerter service. Is this a security flaw? I am
confident I don't have a virus or Trojan. If this is
common, I won't worry. A big storm had kept me off DSL
and out from behind my firewall.

Thanks,
Rick

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What virus is this? How to remove?
    ... Disable the Messenger service, ... I have a virus-type problem which causes a pop-up box appears from time ... Microsoft Windows has encounted an Internal Error ... Microsoft recommends a complete system scan ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • RE: Slow Browsing and many Popups - same problem
    ... disabling the messenger service-this will put a stop to ... pop-up generating active x that might be lurking in the ... downloaded the Sasser fix but it turned out that wasn't a ... Any new message I click on or new window, ...
  • stop blockmessenger.com pop-ups
    ... and then click Control Panel). ... I did it 24 hours ago and haven't had a "Messenger ... How can I get rid of this pop-up? ...
  • Re: annoying popups!
    ... There are two types of pop-up. ... Messenger (not MSN ... Messenger)and Web pop-ups. ... Options, Security Tab, Custom button, Under the Scripting ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Sitebar add-on ?
    ... > coming in through Windows Messenger, if so, how do I turn it off? ... Messenger Service of Windows ... Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)