Advanced Patch Management advice required

From: Emdee (mikeDONTSPAM@webheat.co.uk)
Date: 02/14/03

From: "Emdee" <mikeDONTSPAM@webheat.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:22:10 -0000

Has anyone got any ideas on what I could do to meet these criterion:

- I need a way to create a list of patches required for 7 servers (Win2K)
within a domain.

- To be able to track which patches are required PER SERVER

-To be able to indicate which:
 *which patches have been applied
 *which patches are NOT to be applied
 *which are still to be reviewed
 *which patches have been reviewed and ARE to be applied

- To be able to log notes against any patchs per server, i.e Reason why the
patch is not applied to this server.

I've been playing around with the idea of using hfnetchk to produce reports
per machine in TAB seperated format and then importing these into a Access
(or other) database and producing some appropiately linked tables and
queries to get the result I want.

My DB skills are not as sharp as I'd like so this is likely to be time
consuming so I'd like to get some feedback on this and other possible
solutions.

Thanks
Mike