Re: Domain groups show up as a SID

From: James Raaymakers (jamesraa@pacbell.net)
Date: 02/13/03

From: "James Raaymakers" <jamesraa@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:50:11 -0800

Thanks Mike,
    I am logging on the local client machines with a user
account that is a member of the Domain Admins group when I
view the members of the computers local groups and see
SIDS instead of names. If I add another domain user or
group I'll see the name until I click the apply button,
then the name changes to the SID for the account. I get no
errors nor am I asked to provide domain credentials to
access the domain accounts list like you would be if you
were not logged on with a domain account. Permissions
appear to work fine for the domain groups. Logging on with
domain accounts is fine. There are no individual domain
accounts added to the clients. Just the Domain users group
in the local Power Users Group. ( For my daughters legacy
games to run ).

James

group is not the same
>as the old group even if the permissions and names are
the same.

>If the local user you are logged on with is not a member
of the domain (like
>admin, users) then you will see SID's cause the username
is unknown to the local
>user (they don't comm with each other or the server since
the local admin/user
>is not in the domain.)
>

>"James Raaymakers MCSE" <jamesraa@pacbell.net> wrote in
message
>| Hi all,
>| I have a WIndows 2000 Active Directory Domain in
>| Native mode. When I view the members of the local groups
>| on a client or member server the domain groups show as
>| SIDs. So I cannot tell which is which. Removing and
>| readding the groups has no effect. removing the computer
>| from then readding it to the domain also has no effect.
>| Can anyone help? Thanks.
>

>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Failure Audit on Event Log
    ... Primary User Name: CAPACO-MCY$ ... Client Domain: CAPACOMCY ... But I include the account on Domain Admins group, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: access only to one external site
    ... Make sure "test" is member of the group, or replace the group with the ... > 1- firewall client installed on the client ... > 5 - user is logged on using his user account in AD ... Is the browser configured to use a proxy or not? ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: Share Permissions and Security Groups
    ... >> storage on a member server. ... >> If the account is in no group that directly or indirectly has been ... >> resources that are controlled and add the groups of principals ... > From your comments I ensure that each Project Folder NTFS does not inherit ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • mssbsssr/sbsmonacct causing audit failure
    ... it first checks if the user account sbsmonacct exists, ... It is a member of Domain Users, Enterprise Admins, and by implication Users ... a member of either the Remote Operators group or the Domain Power Users ... This happens because on SBS 2003, the "Deny log on locally" policy ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cant access DNS MMC in AD
    ... a Member Client. ... This will Install the DNS Console and ADU&C on the client. ... Give this account local Administrative rights on the Client. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)