RIS/Manual Policy Copy

From: Steve F (sfumarolo@wideopenwest.com)
Date: 02/13/03

From: "Steve F" <sfumarolo@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:06:03 -0600

I am the network administrator of a Windows 2000 Domain (in a high school
environment) running off of one DC running 2000AS. We have desktop machines
running 2000 Pro. We usually use RIS to deploy (or re-deploy) the OS to
these machines. During the RIS installation, the OS is copied along with
settings related to Domain and Local Policy.

We are at the point where we need to do a few manual installations (machines
do not support PXE Boot or the Windows 2000 RIS Boot Disk). During a manual
installation, whether the machine is added to the domain during the GUI
portion of setup or not, these policies do not copy themselves to the local
disk.

Is there any way to initiate this copy manually? Can the policies be
exported/imported from an existing machine on the domain?

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Steve F

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NoNoBadDog!" (Re: Unwilling to upgrade to SP2... yet)
    ... How about 1500 machines? ... >> problems had a poorly maintained installation of the Windows OS prior to ... the annoying little "You have a windows update" window keeps ...
  • Re: Need a Linux USB hard drive "table-of-contents" recovery procedure
    ... If he thought it might have a virus, ... Windows from scratch. ... on their machines, and lazy people have messy machines. ... in the installation directory - so that's trivial (except for the ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Cryptogram Comment
    ... >> bother me with Windows questions. ... >> machines are broken. ... Just like if you don't know to tune up your car every year then you ... > and Linux and other open OS's make all patches FREE to redistribute. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Using sysprep to mimic OEM Windows Welcome
    ... since the hardware is nearly identical on all these machines (although some ... The reference installation was done with a slipstreamed CD. ... Regarding the music during Windows Welcome: ... > | completely random computername or leave it completely blank. ...
  • What Does It Take to Get a PC With XP?
    ... I won't waste time rehashing the argument over whether Windows Vista ... that virtually every copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate Edition ... machines doesn't mean that its employees understand that policy. ...
    (misc.consumers)