Re: How secure is EFS?

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 02/11/03

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:02:01 -0500

EFS can be cracked easily if you have a laptop that is not joined to a
Windows domain, unless you change your Syskey setting. EFS can be made to
be very secure. Note that changing the syskey settings will require you to
enter either a password or a floppy disk every time the computer boots up.
You definitely need to back up your EFS encryption keys and store them
securely asap, or else you could lose all your encrypted files.

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#efs
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#encryption
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/techinfo/administration/recovery/defa