Re: How secure is EFS?

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 02/11/03

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:02:01 -0500

EFS can be cracked easily if you have a laptop that is not joined to a
Windows domain, unless you change your Syskey setting. EFS can be made to
be very secure. Note that changing the syskey settings will require you to
enter either a password or a floppy disk every time the computer boots up.
You definitely need to back up your EFS encryption keys and store them
securely asap, or else you could lose all your encrypted files.

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#efs
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#encryption
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/techinfo/administration/recovery/defa
> ult.asp
>
> --
>

> David B. Cross [MS]
>
> --
rights.

> http://support.microsoft.com
>
> "Christoph Seidel" <Christoph.Seidel1@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > I have a notebook which may get lost. I do not want that anybody can
read
> > the data in a special folder on the notebooks disk. Can I achive this
with
> > EFS? It seems that every Administrator can decrypt my files - am I
right?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows XP Folder/File Encryption
    ... Only you can answer if it is worth doing. ... EFS is very secure if properly used. ... If a file is removed and the encryption keys are not available, ... See the links near the bottom of this page for more information about EFS: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How do I encrypt a whole (external) USB harddisc (under Win2000 and WinXP)?
    ... EFS has more pitfalls than it returns in benefits. ... EFS is very secure, so much ... consider a simple backup to another magnetic media as adequate. ... > Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: EFS and trojan horses
    ... Trojan horses are rather uncommon and are not the first thing I would be ... are free firewalls, ... EFS if not properly secured has some security issues that may make it not ... very secure in some instances. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Does W2K hold users email, EFS etc private key securely ?
    ... Everything depends on whether you are implementing EFS via GPO or locally, ... a secure hard disk area (at least ... Does W2K hold user's email, EFS etc private key securely? ... prompted for a separate passphrase to protect this key. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Ultra secure and user friendly file sharing on Server 2003?
    ... It doesn't look like that addresses network sniffing. ... think EFS is user friendly enough for the people who need to use it. ... All access needs to be audited and it needs to be secure from network ... to do FTP transfers etc.) ...