Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-04

From: Max Burke (mlvburke@%$%#@.nz)
Date: 02/09/03

From: "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:18:14 +1300

> Doug Fox scribbled:
> Has someone not yet applied the cumulative patch for IE (810847)
> released on Feb 5, as advised by Microsoft? which maximum severity
> rating is critical.
> Want to know the "potential" exposure if the IE is not patched right
> away. (We know that it should be patched yesterday :-( )
> Any comments are appreciated.

There is a known problem with update 810847; That update installs
MSHTML.dll v1141 which can cause random (but frequent) crashes in
Outlook Express when editing a reply post/message.

MS are aware of it and are investigating what the cause is.

If the patch has been applied a work-around to try is to restore or
revert back to MSHTML.dll v1126.

To revert back to v1126, search for all copies of the MSHTML.dll file on
your computer, find v1126 and copy it your system or system32 folder, so
it overwrites the later version (v1141) that this update installed.

When you have done that:
Restart Outlook Express, select help, about and scroll down to verify
that OE is using MSHTML.dll v1126

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

  • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-04
    ... > Has someone not yet applied the cumulative patch for IE ... There is a known problem with update 810847; That update installs ... To revert back to v1126, search for all copies of the MSHTML.dll file on ... your computer, find v1126 and copy it your system or system32 folder, so ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-04
    ... > Has someone not yet applied the cumulative patch for IE ... There is a known problem with update 810847; That update installs ... To revert back to v1126, search for all copies of the MSHTML.dll file on ... your computer, find v1126 and copy it your system or system32 folder, so ...
    (alt.computer.security)