Help: Need to repair BKF file from ntbackup, victim in desperate need.

From: Mithril Felix (mithrilfelix@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/06/03

From: Mithril Felix <mithrilfelix@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:54:26 GMT

There is a person who is in desperate need of your help. He has
something of painfully high importance trapped in a BKF file that is
deemed corrupt by ntbackup.exe. I can probably spend a lot of time and
hack out the information, but I am assuming there is a tool or
something that can be done to repair this either with a utility from
Microsoft or Veritas. The BKF file in question does have structure,
and is recoverable if I were to spend an unruly amounts of time
chunking out apparent data. Victim claims verify was used during
backup and that this BKF passed.

Microsoft has a solution-less treatment of the observed error
{[Unrecognized Media]
The backup file is unusable. You must erase it, or choose another
file. } here
[http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q269826 ],
also referenced, Veritas
[http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241600.htm ]

I would like to take a moment to appeal to any Microsoft
representative that can help. This is a frustrating treatment of a
grievous error especially for those in desperate need of help with a
critical system in a given operating environment: the backup facility.
It offers no other solution that to delete the file. I can tell from a
cursory inspection of the file that there is useful and consistent
date in the file, but that it simply needs a repair utility.

Anyways, the order of operations I am planning to take is to try to
restore with both Backup Exec 8.6 and 9, as well as Windows 2000
Server SP3 and ntbackup (which is where the file was originally backed
up).

Any and all information about this file format or repairing this file
is needed, my appeal is most serious and we all benefit from helping
with better characterizing how to deal with catastrophic failures.
TIA.

Relevant Pages

  • Help: Need to repair BKF file from ntbackup, victim in desperate need.
    ... Need to repair BKF file from ntbackup, victim in desperate need. ... The backup file is unusable. ...
  • Re: Cant restore bkf files from disk
    ... it will not restore a readable .bkf file. ... there is a file folder on my c: ... "Backup", within that folder there is another file folder called ... neither of which works on the restore utility. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant restore bkf files from disk
    ... it will not restore a readable .bkf file. ... there is a file folder on my c: ... "Backup", within that folder there is another file folder called ... neither of which works on the restore utility. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant restore bkf files from disk
    ... Where did the unzipped .bkf file go? ... -- I only did one backup and that was on 7/17. ... There is another file folder under My Documents that I created on the 25th ... neither of which works on the restore utility. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant restore bkf files from disk
    ... I saved it to disk and also ... neither of which works on the restore utility. ... The date time and size of the bkf file is ... using the Windows backup utility ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)