Re: Why when I go to this site it try to access my computer

From: Michel Gallant (MVP) (neutron@istar.ca)
Date: 02/03/03

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:20:09 -0500
From: "Michel Gallant (MVP)" <neutron@istar.ca>

Anyone can perform a port-scan on any known computer at any time. If
you ever install a firewall (software or hardware) you will very quickly
find this out!

Anytime you access any web-site, that site has the "IP address" of your
machine, as seen via the Internet (you will have a protected local IP if
you are behind a firewall, managed by the NAT = Network Address Table).

So, if you go to any unknown web-site, that site can do ANYTHING it wishes
with your computer-internet IP address, including forwarding it immediately
to any list of malicious hackers, who could proceed to portscan-at-will against
your machine (or firewall box).

Therefore, once again, DON'T go to web-sites you don't trust :-)

Here are some simple essential guidelines (you CAN trust this site, but how
would KNOW this? ask here .. if you trust posters to this group??
trust everyone, and trust noone !
  http://www.jensign.com

 - Michel Gallant
   MVP Security
   JavaScience Consulting
   http://pages.istar.ca/~neutron

Mandy wrote:

> When I go to this site 63.171.8.45 it performs a port scan. Is this common
> that a site would do this? This doesn't seem "right". Thoughts, comments?

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [Full-disclosure] PC Firewall Choices
    ... > settings and you can't trust it. ... If someone wants to supplement Windows XP firewall and doesn't really know ... to test hardware firewalls and installations in other ways behind routers. ... things that have come right by their router/hardware firewall without ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Why when I go to this site it try to access my computer
    ... you ever install a firewall (software or hardware) you will very quickly ... So, if you go to any unknown web-site, that site can do ANYTHING it wishes ... Here are some simple essential guidelines (you CAN trust this site, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Windows Server 2003 domain trust issue
    ... That was tracked down to the Watchguard firewall at the remote ... DNS functioning (I should say that the odd thing is that there was already ... checking the status of the listed ports. ... Depending on how much you REALLY trust the other people, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Is additional firewall necessary?
    ... deactivate any desktop firewall, but by not using such a firewall ... NOT use a feature or to NOT trust some random stranger. ... When it comes to deciding the level of security to be taken, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: creating one way trust
    ... Let me try to understan a little more about youre network. ... There isn't any firewall in between except the win2003svr built in firewall. ... > trust is in different network). ... >>> configuring that, i got the message the domain can't be contacted. ...