Re: how to controll / restrict access to USB Flash Disks

From: Selcuk Demiray (sdemiraynospam@veezy.com)
Date: 02/02/03

From: "Selcuk Demiray" <sdemiraynospam@veezy.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:01:11 +0200

You can try disabling the "Removable Storage" service by using Group Policy.
I did not personally try it but IMHO it should work.
Regards

Selcuk.

"Ernie" <guess@where.com> wrote in message
> Any idea how to controll / restrict access to removable media like the
small
> USB mass storage / USB Flash Disks ???
>
> Controlling access to removable media (Win2K) can be easily set with:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> - AllocateFloppies
> - AllocateCDRoms
> - Allocatedasd
>
> ===> Why isn't there a AllocateUSBmassStorage or so ????
>
> It appears that Windows2000 is shipped with all required (USB mass
storage)
> drivers for USB Flash Disks. Even in a tightly restricted Win2K+SP3 client
> setup every domain user can will have access to the USB memory (no
> administrator or power user priveliges required to "install" this kind of
> driver): After plug-in of the device the driver will be installed and the
> first available drive letter will be assigned to the USB mass storage
> device.
> We would like to restrict access to these drives (preferable not just
hiding
> them), like we restrict floppy and cdrom drives, since this (in our case)
is
> a SECURITY issue. Are we overlooking something, or is this a bug in the
> "Allocate_Floppies/CDRoms/DASD" policies as mentioned above ???
> Simply disabeling the (f.i.) USBSTOR.SYS would not work, since it is
> required when using USB mouses/keyboards.
> Disabling USB on system BIOS level isnt really an option either.
>
> ===> Any idea of possible solutions (standard Win2k, SP4 feature
> comming soon, third party software) ???
>
> Thanks, for any info on this subject. Even good old Google doesn't point
us
> in the right direction :-)
>
> Regards,
> Erwin

Relevant Pages

  • Software Raid - Raid 1 mit zwei HDDs macht Probleme
    ... USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2 ... Storage driver... ... for USB Mass Storage devices ... setrlimit) failed: Operation not permitted ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Block threats from USB storage device
    ... USB storage devices have gained popularity. ... Trojans, hacker toolkits, worms or other forms of malicious programs. ... how does one protect against threats from USB storage devices? ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Block threats from USB storage device
    ... USB storage devices have gained popularity. ... Trojans, hacker toolkits, worms or other forms of malicious programs. ... how does one protect against threats from USB storage devices? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Block threats from USB storage device
    ... USB storage devices have gained popularity. ... Trojans, hacker toolkits, worms or other forms of malicious programs. ... how does one protect against threats from USB storage devices? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Block threats from USB storage device
    ... USB storage devices have gained popularity. ... Trojans, hacker toolkits, worms or other forms of malicious programs. ... how does one protect against threats from USB storage devices? ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)